Short version for Type 56..

AK Bayonets from China

Moderator: Mr. B.

Bruno

Short version for Type 56..

Post by Bruno »

Have anybody seen this bayo before - haven´t found it in any paper and/or electronic catalogue..

It was told that this is likely for Type 56 carbine version...
Attachments
114211471.jpg
114211530.jpg
114211530.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 117 times
114256017.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Short version for Type 56..

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Bruno,
Good to hear from you. I think you already have it figured out. It was originally from a Chinese Type 56 (SKS) carbine. Back in the late 1900s, Thousands (millions?) of these SKS rifles became obsolete in the ComBloc countries. They were replaced by the AK series of weapons. They were provided to second level countries and sold on the open market.
At that point in time in the U.S. it was Illegal to import or own any type of full automatic weapon. Anything AK was banned. The import market was flooded with SKS rifles, most were Chinese. SKS rifles became boring and sales slowed. Many importers tried to keep up sales and interest by providing new variations. (See picture above). One of the variations was a shortened “paratrooper” version by shortening the barrel to the shortest legal limit in the US.. Then the bayonet was too long to fold so they shortened them too. The process was crude, cutting and grinding and refinishing. There was never a military version, just for the civilian / collectors market. The short rifles were nice to use, but many of the bayonets were left over or just scrapped.
Cheers, Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi again Bruno,
There is a “RARE” version of this bayonet. They also cut down old military versions of the Type 56 SKS rifles with the folding Blade bayonets. The cut down blade was really crude and just plain ugly! Mike
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Thanks, Mike, for such a precise answer..

So can I consider that this kind of "commercially shortened" bayo is out of interest for collection // or should I buy it..?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hey Bruno, First of all, I collect only AK bayonets and related items. That leaves the SKS bayonets and related items out. The Chinese Type 56 SKS rifle bayonets are not very collectible as millions were made. Very few variations and markings for collectors and the rifles were needed for display. Basically spike or blades. One crudely altered for the commercial market not at all collectable unless you want to collect ALL variations of SKS bayonets. Mike