Czech VZ58 Bayonet 3 basic Variations

Czech VZ58 Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Czech VZ58 Bayonet 3 basic Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

All Czech VZ58 bayonets are cast and machined from a single piece of metal. There are three distinct models and one authorized
rework/modification of the basic configuration. The blades are all pretty much the same but with reversions, improvements to the hilts.

Type I had a small, rounded cross guard shape, a short blade tang. The tang had a small oval lightening hole and two small specific grip mounting holes. The original grips were shaped from a single piece of wood, usually Beech. Grip color varied from light yellow tan to darker brown. These wood grips were a weak point and subject to damage and frequent repair and replacement and soon recalled. A new set of molded wood chip and glue panels were designed to replace them using a specified rivet placement. These grip panels and rivet placement were carried over to the Type II production. Note the small original factory rivet holes. M.
IMG_2582.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Czech VZ58 Bayonet 3 basic Varietions

Post by Mr. B. »

Type II production was basically the same with a few needed improvements. The cross guard was extended on the bottom to help gripping when installing the bayonet and when using as a knife. The area around the locking lug was strengthened and improvements were made to secure the molded wood chip grip panels. The short tang was retained, but the lightening hole was lenghtened and the grip panels were redesigned to fill this extended oval. No small holes were drilled for the rivets, but the rivet placement was specified and standardized. Note the picture with the Type I with replacement grips and the regular production Type II. M.
IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here's the picture of a Type II production tang. M.
Attachments
IMG_2583.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Now for the Type III. It retains all the features of the Type II but has a redesigned full length tang. It has better balance and heft as well as the tang extending past the two flat panel molded grips to protect the pommel. Note that the two rivet placement holes are drilled between the 1st & 2nd and 4th & 5th lightening holes. This placement is now standardized and the same between all three Types. Note the picture of all three Types. M.
IMG_2584.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2597.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Note: The grip panels and rivets shown with the Type II and III pictures above are new unused production types and are some that came from an armorers VZ58 field/unit repair kit along with all the parts to repair the VZ58 rifle. Also note that all the grips were also glued together as well as being riveted. Also note that the original VZ58 rifles had wood furniture like the Type I bayonets. The rifles had the wood stocks and grip replaced with the new wood chip and glue parts at about the same time as the bayonets.

The correct method of repair as well as rivet placement was in the instructions along with the necessary tools and adhesive. However these instructions were not always followed out of convenience or availability. I have seen one, two and three rivets in all sorts of placement and alignment as well as different style of rivets, with and without washers as well as machine screws and nuts as retainers. I have also seen several without any retainers, just glued. Hard to tell by by whom and where these non-standard replacements/repairs were made M.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The one authorized rework of the bayonet itself was made to a few of the Type I and II bayonets. The tang was extended to the contours of full length Type III tang by welding on a preformed extension. When properly ground and refinished and with new Type lII grip panels in place these are hard to detect on the Type II conversion, but it is possible to find a Type I short cross guard on a bayonet with a full tang. Note that is has a drilled rear rivet hole to conform to the others in rivet placement. M.
Attachments
IMG_2585.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Excellent info!

- B -
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some of the many scabbard differences. Smooth vs embossed, different colors, different sew and rivet patterns. M.
IMG_2598.JPG
croblade

Post by croblade »

Great posts! Thank you Mr. B.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some groupings to show grip material and color variations. The 1st group has the standard authorized rivet placement. the 2nd group is of a few
IMG_2605.JPG
IMG_2606.JPG
non-standard replacement/rework grips and rivet placement. There is no end to these non- standard alterations. M.
Mr. B.

Re: Czech VZ58 Bayonet 3 basic Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some better pictures of the differences between the three different basic VZ58 bayonets. The earlier pictures I posted were barrowed. These are pictures I striped down to display in my collection. M.
First pattern Type I.
IMG_0059.JPG
Second pattern Type II.
IMG_0060.JPG
Third pattern Type III.
IMG_0061.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some comparison pictures of the three basic VZ58 patterns. Note the differences in the blade tangs, the reinforced mounting slot next to the lock pin, and the bottom of the cross guard. M.
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks Mike, great pics and info
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This post is a correction for the first post under this topic. I stated that all the VZ58 bayonet were CAST and machined from a single piece of metal. Recent research has proven this wrong. The original Type I design was for the one piece blade, cross guard and hilt tang to be FORGED and machined to specifications. This forging required a large amount of machining. One of the reasons for the redesigned Type II was ability to change to CASTING the metal. This saved time and expense by reducing the amount of machining. The Type I was forged, the Types II and III were cast.

The picture below shows, top, the forged and machined Type I bayonet. Note the circular machining on the bottom of the hilt tang. The middle is a cast Type II bayonet. Note the casting line where the mold halves met along the length of the hilt tang. The bottom is a cast Type III bayonet. Again note the mold line on the bottom of the hilt tang. Mike
VZ58 Type I II III Forged vs Cast.jpg
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike,

Just re-read through this series of posts. Prompted me to check my (very late dated) VZ58 armorer's kit. Noted I only have Type 3 replacement grip panels in this particular kit. I busted the seal on it so I know this is the original state of the kit. Would you happen to have an extra set of the Type 2 grip panels or know where I could get a set?

Martin
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Martin,

At one time I had several sets of new Type II grip panels. Now only have the one set I kept for display. I don't remember exactly where they came from. One source was a surplus dealer in TX, (I think he had armorers kits). The other source was a surplus dealer, (collector), in Czechoslovakia. Bought a lot of cheap stuff from them. Haven't heard from them in years, will see if I can find them. Mike