Polish 6h3 "Type I" Handles

Polish AK bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Brian
Site Admin

Polish 6h3 "Type I" Handles

Post by Brian »

Pic from my files, showing the different handles on the Polish 6H3.
The orange ones are supposedly reworked and arsenal replaced.
Attachments
Polish Handles.jpg
Brian
- Admin -
Trombi

Re: Polish 6h3 "Type I" Handles

Post by Trombi »

Nice stuff. I have one polish 6H3 with three digit number and a lot of stamps on it. I have no clue why number is three digit while they use tu have 5 digit serials. Anyway enjoy pictures.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Trombi

Post by Trombi »

And picture with stamps.
Stamps on polish 6H3 bayonet.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Very nice! The one with 3 digits and all the stamps is indeed unusual. Sewn hanger also! M.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

For all it's worth and for comparison, here are my four Polish 6H3 Type I variations that I display. Four different grip color variations, Black with red flecks and brown to orange shades. Note that one has an early blued finish scabbard and the others are painted black. Also one has a stitched rather than riveted hanger and the different sized rivets.
IMG_2646.JPG
IMG_2648.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

With the addition of a couple new Polish AKM 6H3 Type I bayonets I have some new thoughts about them. Most references, including MDI's, list three variations based on grip color, (black, brown & orange). I have been displaying 4, (black, dark brown, light brown & orange). With the new additions, I now realize that the brown to orange may be endless in scope. I read someone else's post that mentioned that the variations of color of molded components is endless to a collector. I now tend to agree on these Polish ones. Maybe just stick to the three most obvious ones. The mixture of the base materials, fillers and added colors may vary from batch to batch over a long period of time. This is also seen on Russian, Bulgarian & Egyptian bayonets as well as others.

Attached are pictures of my six 6H3's showing color variations. All are in excellent to new, unissued condition. Two have matching numbers, two are un-numbered, un-issued, one has an un-numbered scabbard. One has miss-matched numbers to display an early(?) blued scabbard, the rest are painted black. Notice it is similar to the Romanian scabbards as the blue does not 'take' on the pivot weld. Also note the different rivets on the scabbard from flat to rounded. Mike
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
Last edited by Mr. B. on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are close-ups of the painted vs blued scabbards and the flat vs domed rivets. Also note on the above pictures that some of the hanger belt loops are sewn others have a rivet. Mike
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Brian wrote:Pic from my files, showing the different handles on the Polish 6H3.
The orange ones are supposedly reworked and arsenal replaced.
Hey Brian, I was just looking back at other posts and notice something on the 1st one. You mentioned it's from your files and perhaps not your picture or bayonets. Did you notice that two of the scabbards have the later style long insulators that were on some of the Polish AKM 6X4 bayonets from the "Archer" series? These are somewhat uncommon. Also the solid orange grips are interesting, I've never seen one of these close up. Are these the orange replacement/rework grips you mention? Do the bayonet & scabbard show other signs of being reworked? Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

None of those were mine unfortunately. I only have 3 in my collection...still need a black one. But missed that anyways. Will have to keep a lookout.
The smooth orange handle theory of them being replacements during repairs and refurbs came from some Polish contacts a long time ago. Don't remember where or when, but it made sense and I just assumed it was correct. I expect they are merely for replacing broken handles. Could be wrong though.
Brian
- Admin -
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

A late response, but the 3 designations I used were exactly chosen for the reasons Mike said- " I now realize that the brown to orange may be endless in scope. I read someone else's post that mentioned that the variations of color of molded components is endless to a collector. I now tend to agree on these Polish ones." Thus I chose the 3 major designations.
Also, I believe the black handles were the first issued but am not sure. Anyone have any ideas on the relationship between the handle color and date of issue?
In another post it was mentioned these were made 1968-1972. From the Polish bayonet books (my Polish is not that great, btw) I thought I translated that these were made 1966-1972. Which is correct?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

According to Zbigniew Gwozdz, a Polish edged weapons authority and author, the 6H3 bayonets were made from 1969 to 1972. You were correct the black with red flakes were the early version. This is paraphrasing what Mr. Gwozdz reported. Bayonets 6H3 were produced by the arsenal in Radom from 1969 to 1972 when the Polish Army began production of the AKMS (6H4). The Polish bayonet grips were made of "Modofen" thermosetting plastic reinforced with cotton, (Black color). However in later series they were produced with imported USSR material AG-4W, (orange-brown color). This is just one of many references, hope it helps. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Another Polish reference states that they decided to design a new bayonet for the AKM rifles in 1966. However the design was not seen publicly until 1968. Possibly mass production not started until 1968 or early 1969!? However this source also thinks that the first black grips were for the navy, border guards and other special units to match their uniforms. The orange/brown ones were for later general army issue. I seem to believe Gwozdz explanation above. I do think that the orders to begin plans, designs and set up manufacturing of the AKM rifles and bayonets may have originated in 1966 with some production starting in 1968 and full production and issue in 1969. Pictures of the "new" Polish 6H3 appeared in various publications in late 1968. All of my sources/references agree that 6H3 production ended in 1972 with the change over and start up of 6H4 production. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

No actual dates were found for the change from Modofen (black) to AG-4W (orange/brown) grip panels. There were comments in some references about issues during mixing and molding the Modofen. Also other issues as far as quality control, heat resistance and electrical insulation properties. The AG-4W material was available, easier to use and provided improved performance. More or less a running change over as materials became available. My guess is that it would have happened in the first full year, 1969. My question would be were the black ones replaced as the AG-4W ones became available or when they came in for reissue/rework? Or were they left in use until the 6H4s replace all the 6H3s? Regardless the black ones seem scarcer than the others. Maybe because they are oldest, recalled or reworked with grips replaced? Mike
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike, great info. I will try to re-read what I referred to. 1966 plan makes sense with a 1968 intro.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Good info.
Sucks that the black is the one I am missing :-)
Have 4 on the way from the USA, hopefully by the end of the month, but no idea which ones I am getting. Hold thumbs.
Brian
- Admin -
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Brian,

If you don't get a black, let me know. I now have a spare black - non matching number - but at least it is Black.

Martin
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Handle color and issue date can best be read off the original AKM.

The AKM has the date of manufacture.
Theoretically, the grip color of the handle and the date of manufacture can be transferred to the color 6H3 bayonet.
Now who has an original Pol. AKM? Not me!
Personally, I think black 6H3 bayonets are the first, though I think the dark brown ones have the same characteristics.

I have reviewed 10 pieces of black 6H3, all have a mark in the handle groove.
Some are very clearly others weakly beaten .
Personally, I would opt for only two groups of 6H3 bayonets.
1. 6H3 with duroplast in black and brown.
2. 6H3 with AG-4W in brown to orange.
Manufacturing period 1966-1972 , I think is correct
Best Regards
Attachments
DSCF8210.JPG
DSCF8212.JPG
Pol 6H4 schwarz abnahmestempel (2).JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Polish 6H3 brown
Very early Duroplast with Filler.
Absolutely Rare.
Attachments
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (1).JPG
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (2).JPG
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (7).JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Polish 6H3 Brown
Attachments
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (9).JPG
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (8).JPG
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (10).JPG
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (6).JPG
Last edited by mill_speer on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Polish 6H3 duroplast with filler comparison with brown and 6H3 black

Beste Grüsse
Attachments
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (3).JPG
Pol. 6H3 Braun  Duroplast mitFüllstoff (11).JPG