Wearing and Displaying a Romanian wrap around Hanger?

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Wearing and Displaying a Romanian wrap around Hanger?

Post by Mr. B. »

Things have been very slow in AK bayonet collecting lately. Maybe a good time for discussion of an old subject. What is the "correct" way to wear and/or display a Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard with a wrap around hanger? This pertains to the bayonets with the bulbus handles and the all leather or leather with fabric hangers. What and why are your opinions and suggestions? How about any providence of what is "correct"? Original Romanian pictures or illustrations from training manuals etc.? Original pictures of bayonets worn on belts?

If there is no proof of what is "correct", how about what is the best or preferred way to display them in a collection? What are your opinions and why?

Below are pictures of the two possible ways to attach the Type I scabbard to a wrap around hanger.
Mike
Romy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 1.jpg
Romy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 2.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Wearing and Displaying a Romanian wrap around Hanger?

Post by Brian »

First pic seems logical and natural. I can't think of a reason why it would be worn the other way around. Just my opinion.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

In my opinion, the second picture is correct. As designed in Russia, the AKM Type I scabbard had a bar or loop on the BACK side for attaching the hanger. The wire cutter plate pivot and stop was on the FRONT side. This presented the smooth side to the wearer and prevented hanging up or snagging on the pants or pockets or poking the wearer. Almost all the ComBloc countries either produced or issued this Type I scabbard. Even the Romanians issued and used the snap hook hangers at times. Only the Romanians designed and made this wrap around style hanger. To me, there is a reason that there is a FRONT and BACK side and should be displayed and/or worn that way consistently regardless of the hanger used.
Mike
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

As far as everything is correctly described Mike.
Basically, the scabbards of the Romanian bayonets are carried outwards with the cutting plate, pivot point and stop.
They were also given out in the factory-standard manner in the changing hanger.
Now to the actual topic, the Romanians are unfortunately very dissolute in their way of life and have no problem driving a car without a functioning brake.
They don't care how the Scabbard is in the changing hanger, nobody cares.
From a collector's point of view, I would store them with the back in the carrying device, as a deformation of the rubber isolator is avoided.
Unfortunately, I don't have any exact pictures of how it is carried. You can tell from the noticeable spot of welding how they are worn.
Image: 1.2. Factory
Image: 3.4. Correctly worn with damaged insulator
Image: 5. my preferred storage

Soweit alles korrekt beschrieben Mike.
Grundsätzlich werden die Scheiden der Rumänischen Bajonette mit der Schneideplatte , Drehpunkt und Anschlag nach außen getragen.
Die wurden auch so Fabrikmäßig in den Wickelaufhänger ausgegeben.
Jetzt zum eigentlichen Thema, die Rumänen sind leider in ihrer Lebensart sehr liederlich und haben auch kein Problem, mit einen Auto ohne funktionierende Bremse zu fahren.
Denen ist es egal wie die Scheide in den Wickelaufhänger steckt, Niemand stört das.
Aus sammlerische Sicht würde ich die mit der Rückseite in der Tragevorrichtung Lagern ,da eine Deformierung des Gummi Isolator vermieden wird.
Leider habe ich keine exakten Bilder von der Trageweise. Man kann das an den Auffälligen Schweißpunkt erkennen wie die getragen werden.
Bild :1.2. Fabrikmäßig
Bild: 3.4. Korrekt getragen mit Beschädigten Isolator
Bild: 5. meine bevorzugte Lagerung
Attachments
Rum.M.59 (1).JPG
Rum.M.59 (2).JPG
Rum. M.59 1 (1).JPG
Rum. M.59 1 (2).JPG
Rum. M.59.2.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I agree with you in that the Romanians and the other countries that used these bayonets and hangers did not really care how they were worn. It is also apparent in the quality control used by the Romanians during production of the bayonets, scabbards and hangers. However, I do believe that there are certain ways things are done on an assembly line. Even with low quality workers who do not really care, things are usually done a certain way. If not, they would be unable to make or assemble anything. Assembly is done in a certain prescribed way and sequence. Again there may be no consistency between workers, management, and at different times, (shifts, days, weeks, years, etc..).

Your pictures do tend to confirm some of my opinions and indicate a certain general pattern. More to follow.
Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

From a practical point of view I would think that having the hanger pocket on the scabbard to the back would help reduce the amount of debris that would collect in the pocket and the gap in the hanger in the field. The hanger pocket in the back helps make the hanger fit the scabbard tighter and squeezes the pocket and reduces the scoop effect. Note the scoop effect on the 1st picture and the 2nd scoop just below as the scabbard is loose in the hanger.
Mike
Romy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 21.jpg
Romy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 20.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

mill_speer makes a good point about how the Romy hanger is installed from the point of original assembly. I also have an factory original bayonet and scabbard assembly. This bayonet was in a sealed bag when I bought it 25-30 years ago. An importer had a case of them. It was my 1st Romy bayonet and I hand picked from the container. I did open the bag to inspect the item and then returned it to the bag as a sample. It is in new condition, as found, with no markings or numbers. The original waxed(?) paper is still between the hilt and hanger. Note the position of the scabbard in the hanger, the position of the release button and the hilt and wrist strap. Also note the remains of a powder like protectant on the rubber insulator.

This new bayonet is pictured along with the issued, numbered, one from my collection that I used for pictures for this series of posts. It does reinforce my opinion of what I believe is the correct way to wear and display these wrap-around hangers.
Mike
Romy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 23.jpg
Romy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 28.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

These pictures also help me justify my opinion. it just seems logical to me to have all the protrusions toward the FRONT or outside. That leave a smooth surface to the BACK or inside toward the wearer. The smooth side toward the BACK also looks and displays better toward a wall or flat surface.
Mike
InkedRomy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 31jpg.jpg
Romy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 30.jpg
furtium

Post by furtium »

I'm in agreement with you Mike. I also have a Romanian bayonet that was factory wrapped in the bag and it looked just like yours.
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Mr. B. wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:40 pm These pictures also help me justify my opinion. it just seems logical to me to have all the protrusions toward the FRONT or outside. That leave a smooth surface to the BACK or inside toward the wearer. The smooth side toward the BACK also looks and displays better toward a wall or flat surface.
Mike
InkedRomy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 31jpg.jpgRomy AKM 6X3 Hanger Display & Wear 30.jpg
I totally agree.