Need help on ID

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

steelmonkey

Need help on ID

Post by steelmonkey »

I can't piece together what country of origin this is from.
A well used handle is probably hiding some stamps that I cannot discern. Blade is odd as well.
20210321_101821.jpg
20210321_101130.jpg
Last edited by steelmonkey on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelmonkey

Re: Need help on ID

Post by steelmonkey »

I'm leaning Polish, not sure. Scabbard is non match.
20210321_103009.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I believe that this is a Polish AKM 6H4 bayonet and scabbard. Mainly because of the blade without saw teeth. Occasionally an Egyptian or Iraqi bayonet is found without saw teeth, but they were probably made/assembled using Polish blade blanks. This blade has been reworked and resharpened. This bayonet and scabbard shows evidence of being reworked but the style of numbering is not typical Polish. Polish bayonets were originally numbered in smaller numbers on the left side. Occasionally rework did sometimes re-number on the right side. At first it looks like a 5 digit number, but close examination shows that the last number is actually one of the original Polish proof marks, (flattened diamond).

The scabbard my not be Polish. Close examination of the picture shows a blurry area between the current numbers and the cutter plate rivets. It appears original numbers may have been removed and painted over. Are there any small proof marks on the back of the cutter plate? The current 5 digit number is possible, but numbers are too large and irregular for Polish ones. However, they do match the size and style of the rework numbers on the bayonet. The hanger appears to be Polish, wrist strap could be also, but not enough visible.

My best guess is a Polish bayonet and scabbard that has been reworked / renumbered and used in an other country.
Mike
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Thanks Mike,
I finally zoomed in and was able to discern the diamond. That scabbard though, has got me.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are samples of the Polish cross guard and scabbard cutter plate proof marks. Sometimes hard to see under the paint, but typically on almost all of them. Also samples of the Polish numbering. All the 6H3 and a few early 6H4 had 5 digits. Most 6H4 had only 4 digits. The numbers are usually small, compact and neatly spaced. Even when reworking and changing numbers they usually lined or Xed out the old numbers before adding new numbers in different locations. One thing I noticed about your blade is that it has been re-sharpened and re-profiled. What makes it look weird is that the part of the blade that would usually have saw teeth has been full length sharpened. Usually only the small part of the blade used for wire cutting gets reground to eliminate nicks and gauges. Makes the blade appear two full length cutting edges. Mike
Polish AKM 6H4 R. crossguard proof mark.jpg
Polish AKM 6H4 Scabbard proof marks.jpg
Polish AKM 6H4 bayonet and scabbard 5 numbers.jpg
Polish AKM 6H4 bayonet and scabbard 4 numbers.jpg
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

^ Perfect, thanks Mike.