Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Wrist Straps

Bulgarian AK bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Wrist Straps

Post by Mr. B. »

This is a representative picture of Bulgarian AKM wrist straps. Most of the original orange bayonets had matching color, texture and form of wrist strap and hanger. Medium brown smooth leather with single buckles and a fairly large bright rivet. The leather usually has light yellowy edges. Occasionally a lighter color leather is also found as pictured. The later black painted and purchased DDR black bayonets are found with black smooth leather straps and hanger similar in form to the previous brown ones. Some of the imported DDR bayonets also retained the DDR grey/green fabric straps as well.
As a side note, Bulgarian wrist straps are sometimes found twisted and rope like when installed. I have only seen this on these bayonets.
IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Wrist Straps

Post by Mr. B. »

Several years ago I was able help unload and sort through a shipping container of surplus AKM bayonets and scabbards from Bulgaria. They included Russian, (6X3 and 6X4), and Bulgarian, (6X4), bayonets that had been inspected and/or reconditioned before being placed in reserve storage. Most had been reworked and renumbered, but some were in better condition and still original. I noticed a lot of the original Bulgy bayonets had the wrist straps twisted like the one below. I liked the idea. The twist shortened and tightened the leather strap. The torsion kept the buckle from being loose on the cross guard hook and coming off. Plus the strap felt good and offered a good grip on the hilt which was the original idea for the strap. I don't remember ever seeing these twisted straps on bayonets from any other countries, only Bulgys with the leather strap.
Mike
Bulgarian AKM Wrist Strap Varation jpg.jpg
steelmonkey

Re: Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Wrist Straps

Post by steelmonkey »

^ I like this