My AK bayonet collection

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

CarlosC

My AK bayonet collection

Post by CarlosC »

I've posted a couple of pics of my AKs with their bayonets, but here's a bad pic of all my AK bayonets. While it pales in comparison to many collections here, it's good for me. There are too many to remove and lay out so here you go. If anyone would like to see specific ones, let me know.

Top to bottom, left to right.
Top row (all AK47 unless indicated): Russian (black paint finish), Russian(blued finish), Russian (purchased from villager in Cambodia. Number 2791 overstamped with Cyrillic "G"s), unissued Bulgarian, Bulgarian rework (black), Bulgarian issued (Russian made), Polish (Bulgarian made), Polish (duroplast handle), East German, Chinese, Bulgarian AR-M1, Romanian AKM Type 2, Vietnamese commercial (black handle).

Second row: Iraqi bringback (East German with Iraqi roundel stamp), EG modified pommel (canvas hanger), EG modified pommel, EG transitional, EG, Polish (brown), Polish (orange), Polish (duroplast), EG AKM Type 2 (G36 modified), EG Type 2, EG Type 2, Lithuanian (Russian), Bulgarian 6x4, Bulgarian 6x4, Bulgarian 6x5.

Third row: Romanian (thin handle), Romanian (early hanger), Romanian (wide canvas frog), Romanian (orange with brown leather frog), Romanian (tan leather frog), Russian (brown handle Ishevsk), Russian (brown handle Tula), Russian transitional (Ishevsk), Russian (orange handle Ishevsk), Russian (orange handle Tula), Hungarian, Hungarian (export "Made in Hungary FEG"), Egyptian (black), Russian 6x5.

Bottom row: North Korean Type 68 (green canvas - Panama), NK Type 68 (tan canvas - Grenada), Yugo brown hanger, Yugo tan hanger, Polish , Polish (Wz84 harness), Russian (Ishevsk mortise stamp), Russian (Ishevsk stamp on crossguard facing blade), Russian (Ishevsk stamp on grip), Russian (Ishevsk stamp on grip slope), Russian (Ishevsk stamp on grip slope, reduced pommel), Russian (Tula stamp on mortise), Russian (Tula stamp on crossguard facing blade, Russian (Tula stamp on grip and crossguard - double star).

On ground: Chinese Type 81, Chinese Type 85, Chinese (orange), Chinese (orange, brass pin), Chinese (black)

Dragur2791

Re: My AK bayonet collection

Post by Dragur2791 »

First of all - sweet display! Is that the inner door of a safe?
It looks the part!!
I would personally love to see more pics of the modified type 1 EG’s.
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Yes, that is the inside of one of my safes, which has my C&R guns (K-98, M-Ns, Garand, Enfields, etc.) and is the only one with enough depth clearance to house all the AK bayonets. I have a safe just for AK rifles and I wish I could hang the bayonets with their rifles, but there isn't enough clearance between the door and the first row of AKs, or the bottom shelf where the AK mags and drum are. I believe the door is also 1/2" shorter and hinged differently taking up more door real-estate. My other safe is very thick, especially the door, so there's no room on that one for the top row.
It took a lot of trial and error to get them all to fit as it is and you can see the vertical clearance between rows is TIGHT. Look closely and you'll see I have to place some flat on the door (against shelves) and others perpendicular to the door to make them fit. If you have any ideas on how to do this better, please let me know. Anyone! Anyone.

Anyway, here are my EG mods. The bottom one is not in good shape and has a piece chipped of the lip around the release button, but it was the first one I ever got and the only one available at the time, which I believe was around 1998.

mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

The gray Bayonet Hanger device on the upper bayonet is one of the rarest GDR variants and does not belong on this Scabbard.
G.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Gerhard, I am a little confused. Are you indicating that the gray leather hanger at the top of each picture is rare? Or do you mean the more green, (field gray = feld grau), fabric one on the lower Type I scabbard in each picture. I have a similar fabric hanger but it is different in details and appears to me to be made after unification and made by the FRG.
Would you please provide more information about what makes this hanger rare? What scabbard would it be correct on? Is it in any of the reference books?
Thanks, Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Carlos, Would you mind if I moved the info and pictures about the East German AKM 6X3 bayonets with the modified pommels? There is a "Germany" section and a topic, "East German AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet Modified Pommel". It would make it easier to reference and compare with similar items. Also I am curious to know if either bayonet and scabbard have matching numbers or any other markings. Do you have any information or opinions about why they were modified?
Regards, Mike
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Hi Mr. B. Please go ahead and move the bayonets to the East German section.

As for markings:
Type 1 with the plastic scabbard - the number 2V9107 is electro penciled on the bayonet in the groove that slides onto the bayonet lug, in typical East German numbering style. A "2" or "Z" is stamped on one side of the bayonet crossguard. The flat spot behind the mortise on the left grip also has an impression, but I can't make it out. The scabbard only has the last three digits of the serial number etched on the wire cutter attachment slope and they match the bayonet. The number "1" is the European stylized "1" with the long tail at the top of the number, while the "7" has the bar through it. A circle "B" is also stamped on the wire cutter attachment. Both of these markings are on the flat side opposite the anvil. There is a circle "K" stamped on same side of the scabbard, in the plastic, with a "2" or "Z" 15mm next to it.

The Type 1 with the metal scabbard - the number 175733 is electro penciled on the bayonet in the groove that slides onto the bayonet lug, as above. The crossguard is stamped with a circle "K". This bayonet also has an impression on the flat spot behind the mortise on the left grip and it's either circle "2" or "Z". The scabbard has no number. This scabbard's wire cutter attachment is stamped with a circle "M" on the flat spot, opposite the anvil. The only other marking is a circle "K" on the sleeve itself next to and touching one of the rivets used to attach the sleeve to the wire cutter. The rubber insulator is molded with 5998 on it. The grips on this bayonet are unusual in that they are your typical smooth, black plastic. Instead, they have a rough texture all over. There is a little chip missing on the fence around the release button, but the button works perfectly.

I do not know why or how they were modified, and honestly, I forgot I even had them until nine years ago.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thanks for the detailed info and markings. I added the pictures and related info to the "German" section. Just curious, did you look under the insulator at the top front of the scabbard body for a 3 digit serial number?
Thanks, Mike
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Mr. B. wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:59 pm Thanks for the detailed info and markings. I added the pictures and related info to the "German" section. Just curious, did you look under the insulator at the top front of the scabbard body for a 3 digit serial number?
Thanks, Mike
I just looked and there are no markings under the insulator. I hadn't noticed before but the insulator has two "V"s stamped under the lip in a flat, gold-colored ink.
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Finally got around to taking pics of my AK bayonets by country, so here you go...

The Type 85 and Type 81 are likely not authentic.

Bottom one is modified for the G36

Bottom one stamped "MADE IN HUNGARY FEG"

Including the East German, Iraqi issued

CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Great looking collection, nice photography too.
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

A fellow ARFCOM member, USAF vet, and AK enthusiast.
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Carlos,
Thanks for sharing!! You got a nice collection!
Personally I would like to see more detailed pics of that bright yellow Romanian 6x3.
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Here you go...
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

CarlosC wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:39 pm A fellow ARFCOM member, USAF vet, and AK enthusiast.
Yes Sir, also AK Files and AK Forum.