Yugoslavian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet markings?

Yugoslavian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Yugoslavian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet markings?

Post by Mr. B. »

I noticed something unusual while going through eBay recently. There was a nice matching Yugo AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and scabbard listed. It was in excellent condition and looked like a normal item. When looking at the picture of the matching numbers I noticed something else. There is a small square with a number "3" either stamped or molded, ( hard to tell on the picture), on the right side of the cast pommel. This is the first time I have noticed anything like this. I have checked my Yugos, pictures and references without seeing it again.
Has anyone else seen this or any similar markings on a Yugo pommel before ? Anyone have any information or opinions about what it is?
Mike
Yugo AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet with marked pommel..jpg
furtium

Re: Yugoslavian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet markings?

Post by furtium »

I checked mine and I only have one Yugo bayonet with a marking in this area. The bayonet and scabbard are not serialized.
Attachments
IMG_7800.jpg
IMG_7798.jpg
IMG_7797.jpg
IMG_7796.JPG
IMG_7795.JPG
furtium

Post by furtium »

Last pic
Attachments
IMG_7801.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Christopher. Thanks for the pictures. I checked the 8 I have displayed in my collection and another 8-10 I have owned in the past and none had any markings on the pommel. My research and from pictures submitted by others it appears that the markings are quality control or proof marks. They represent random statistical inspection of the casting and machining of the pommel and are somewhat rare. They appear to have been stamped before the finish was applied. They are random designs and placement. A few were like yours with a "K" and various numbers. Some were a small circle design. Another was a similar to the one one at the top of this post, (square with 3), but in a different position. For me, as a collector, too minor to consider.
The hand etched numbers on the blade ricasso and the scabbard cutter plate are interesting and are found in some form on almost all Yugo AKM bayonets. They are the final proof and acceptance marks after the pairing of a bayonet to a scabbard and testing the wire cutter function. The production of the bayonets and scabbards usually does not happen at the same time or even place. Once they are paired they can be matched with a rifle and the serial numbers are added. A certain percentage of production are left un-numbered and placed in reserve for future issue or as replacement due to loss or damage.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

BTW ...... Nice hanger. This is a nice example of a field expedient replacement. Hangers like this appeared during the Balkan conflict and were made and used by various countries. Evidently there was a shortage of original Yugo hangers. Various designs and pieces were used to make up replacements, some were very crude and others like this, were very well done. This one used a surplus pack strap hook in place of the original wire loop and snap hook.
Mike