Eickhorn KCB77 M7

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

pwcosol

Eickhorn KCB77 M7

Post by pwcosol »

Fellow Collectors:

A few years ago, as I was starting to build my collection of AKM/AK74 bayonets, I spoke with a friend & fellow collector whom has a phenomenal collection of world bayonets. At that time he mentioned having a Eickhorn KCB77 M7, and promised to LMK if he decided to let it go. True to his word, he called last week and the piece is now in my hands. Though not a bayonet issued in mass numbers like those made by Russia, China, or their cold war allies, the KCB77 M7 was made by Eickhorn for export as were several other models (some of which were contracted for). However, of those, the M7 is perhaps the scarcest of them all (outside exceptions like the 55 KCB77s submitted for the U.S. Army M9 trials back in 1986). Most of the examples of the M7 are found chrome plated. Whether this was due to them being acquired for ceremonial purposes or service in a unforgiving, humid environment by the purchaser, is unknown. What sets this pattern off from the rest is the smaller muzzle-ring, large channel inlet into the grips from the crossguard to the pommel (to accommodate the bayonet lug(s) and cleaning rod), and the red plastic securing spanner screw. I suspect the latter was purposely colored red to help identify this particular variant from similar patterns. In any event, I am quite pleased to have finally gotten an example of this elusive AK bayonet at last! Because of the huge numbers of foreign Kalashnikov bayonets around the globe, it is not surprising that the M7 pattern was not a commercial success.
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (30.89 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
pwcosol

Re: Eickhorn KCB77 M7

Post by pwcosol »

Photo#2 (Unable to post two photos to original post)
Attachments
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG (19.77 KiB) Viewed 7691 times
Mr. B.

Re: Eickhorn KCB77 M7

Post by Mr. B. »

Very nice! I'm envious! I prefer this one as it appears more "military" than the chromed/polished ones.