East German AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonet Orange Handle

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

East German AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonet Orange Handle

Post by Mr. B. »

This is an East German AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard, (DDR M.59). It is in new condition with the exception that the original black grip panels have been removed and replaced with new orange ones. This was a result of a failed experiment. It is a variation that doesn't officially exist. A result of a group of innovators from the DDR and Poland trying to find a way to simplify production and reduce costs on making the grip panels. The ComBloc governments were promoting the innovation program and cooperation between the countries. The DDR military supplied 10 new 6X3 bayonets and the Polish military contributed 10 new 6H3 bayonets that were removed from their inventories. The group hand made the new orange grip panels from the same orange thermoplastic. The grip panels were poured into a mold from liquefied thermoplastic, no injection molding or thermal pressing. They then removed the original grip panels and replaced them with the new orange ones. The 20 refinished bayonets were inspected by a commission in the DDR where they failed inspection. However the innovation and cooperation program was deemed a success!? These bayonets are not an official military variation. I am not sure how to classify them? Perhaps more of a fantasy item? A non-military item that has been un-offically modified? What ever they are, they are extremely rare.
Mike
DDR NVA MMM (1).JPG
DDR NVA MMM (2).JPG
DDR NVA MMM (6).JPG
DDR NVA MMM (8).JPG
DDR NVA MMM (5).JPG
Mr. B.

Re: East German AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonet Orange Handle

Post by Mr. B. »

The DDR AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets have the original inventory / issue number hand etched in the pommel mounting slot. The scabbards are new un-numbered items from stock.
Mike
DDR NVA MMM (10).JPG
DDR NVA MMM (11).JPG
DDR NVA MMM (3).JPG
Mr. B.

Re: East German AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonet Orange Handle

Post by Mr. B. »

Documentation of these orange handled bayonets bayonets exist as a result of the experiment being an official government program. So far I am aware of two of the DDR and two of Polish examples, (pictures), existing in collections. One DDR is in Germany and and one Polish one is in the USA. Any one else have one or know of someone that does. It would be interesting to see how many survived and where they are.
Mike