Eastern Germany AKM Type I

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Hombre

Eastern Germany AKM Type I

Post by Hombre »

I have this AKM Bayonet Type I and which I think are Eastern German...
Am I correct or am I out in the blue.... :-) The bayonet have matching numbers...
As a beginner I really appreciate any help I can get...

Best,
Hombre
Sweden
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Eastern Germany AKM Type I

Post by Mr. B. »

You are correct Stefan. It is an East German, (DDR), AKM 6X4 Type I bayonet and scabbard. It is correct with all the right E.G. accessories, insulator, hanger and wrist strap.
It does have matching numbers, but they are not the original numbers. They may not even be E.G. numbers. This bayonet has signs of being reworked/reconditioned at some point in time. This can be seen in the sharpening / recontouring of the blade. Normally these hand etched numbers are referred to as "forced matching" due to combining non-matching components. I have never seen re-numbering like this on an E.G. bayonet. This indicates to me that this bayonet may have been reworked or re-issued by another county. Very interesting!
Also interesting is the single digit mold number on the rubber insulator. E.G. used several different mold numbers, but most were the common 5998.
I can not confirm from the picture, but the scabbard may have a flat topped cutter plate pivot. If so this would be a rarer early version.
Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Stefan. This is a complete East German bayonet bayonet. To confirm if this item has original matching East German numbers you must know where to look. The bayonet should have hand etched numbers, ( 2 letters, 4 numbers), in the bayonet mounting slot in the pommel. This number would have originally been matched to a rifle. The scabbard would have been matched to the bayonet by hand etching the last three digits at the top front of the scabbard body under the rubber insulator.
Mike
IMG_0228 (2).JPG
IMG_0235.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

With either original matching numbers and/or the added matching numbers it is a very interesting and unique item. Mike
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Mike, thank you so very much for your help. As a beginner when it comes to AK Bayonets it is extremely important to get information like what you have provided me with. Thank you for taking the time to do so! Very much appreciated. When I come home I will take a look if my bayonet have a flat topped cutter plate pivot and also for other numbers. :)

Best,
Stefan