Russian AK47 Contract Bayonet and Scabbard?

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Russian AK47 Contract Bayonet and Scabbard?

Post by Mr. B. »

I discovered this item on eBay recently. It appeared from the pictures to be a late production Russian Izhevsk AK47 Bayonet and Scabbard. The closer I looked, the more questions I had.
1. First of all, the scabbard is not a definite way to identify this style of bayonet as they are not numbered or tied together in any way, This scabbard is a late issue variation. it has the Russian drain hole in the front and a one piece stamped hanger bracket. Also, the fabric hanger appears to have the late style synthetic, (vinyl), hilt strap.
2. The bayonet appears to be a standard AK47 version with the Izhevsk triangle and arrow mark stamped on the left side of the cross guard. There is a Russian style 4 digit number lightly hand etched on the left side of the pommel. This number usually is matched to a rifle and placed in a case for shipment or storage.
3. The Russian military acceptance mark is MISSING. It is the small flattened diamond containing a "CB" stamped mark on the right side of the pommel. This would indicate it was not for internal use. Possible for a foreign contract or export sales?
4. Maybe just circumstantial, but the Izhevsk triangle and arrow mark appears to be partially obliterated by a deep punch mark. An attempt at "sterilization" ?
5. New hand engraved markings/numbers have been added to the left side of the blade ricasso. This style and placement of numbers is new to me. Perhaps indicating ownership and issue by a different country?
Mike
Russian AK47 contract Bayonet 4.jpg
Russian AK47 contract Bayonet 6.jpg
Russian AK47 contract Bayonet 3.jpg
Russian AK47 contract Bayonet 5.jpg
Russian AK47 contract Bayonet 2.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Russian AK47 Contract Bayonet and Scabbard?

Post by Mr. B. »

In my opinion this bayonet and scabbard were produced specifically for a special contract or export. This is indicated by the lack of the Russian military acceptance mark and the usual stamped serial numbers. These types of variations can be seen on other exports. For example, for the bayonets, scabbards and unassembled parts made up for Finland, Bulgaria, East Germany, etc..
Has anyone else noticed something like this one before? Does anyone have any information or opinions about what it is and what countries were involved?
Mike
LanceF250

Post by LanceF250 »

Im glad you posted this one, I’m the new owner. Unfortunately I do not know the answer to these questions, just more questions. Some sort of marking on the scabbard? Here are some more pictures of the bayonet.
B400B95D-BA00-44FA-BAE2-BE38F3F48016.jpeg
108984F0-F594-42BF-BDEE-7518DE0B76CF.jpeg
08262994-5487-41FF-90D2-511C04463080.jpeg
91E4B97C-B065-4F0C-82C4-1E6AB76F0004.jpeg
8372F2E5-115F-41C5-B0FD-C24C9B534BB2.jpeg
LanceF250

Post by LanceF250 »

CA56595F-D759-4AF1-B294-2E31449CD3B9.jpeg
AC78531F-0786-41B5-9D53-5F6037880E11.jpeg
569446DC-C247-49E7-91AA-3171BC51C0ED.jpeg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Glad it went to a good home. I bid on it as it was an unusual variation. Had to back off due to budget restrictions. Best I can do is try to learn from it. Hopefully someone can provide information about it. Always something new to learn. Mike
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I acquired one of the late production items within the last year ... (NOS). It is very similar to that shown in this post. Mine has no serial numbers though. It does have the flattened diamond inspection mark on the pommel but is very shallow. The Izzy arrow on mine is not 'obliterated' but is not a well struck ... with a partial base line to the triangle and an untidy shaft of the arrow. I put that down to a sloppy strike or a tired stamp.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

From your description this bayonet was not for a contract. The fact that it had the Russian military acceptance stamp, even though it was light. meant it was for Russian use. Usually the bayonets were produced and numbered to match with the production of the rifles. They were either stored or issued together. During bayonet production a certain number, (percentage?), were made as spares, accepted and left un-numbered. These were held in reserve to be used as replacements in the future for damaged or lost items. These un-numbered, un-issued bayonets were often sold off along with used items when replaced due to obsolescence. NOS means New Old Stock. I personally prefer to collect these like new original bayonets and scabbards that are un-numbered and unissued. Most of them were eventually issued and used or sold and used by secondary owners with or without being numbered.
Mike