Bulgarian AKM Type II Painted Black

Bulgarian AK bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

MDIvie

Bulgarian AKM Type II Painted Black

Post by MDIvie »

I picked this bayonet up at SAR last weekend. I had seen them before but ignored them. A friend actually gave this to me.

I have heard a couple of stories on these. First story is these were painted by the Bulgarians as part of a specific customer order then the customer backed out and they were sent to the US. Second story is that these were done for the US market at the request of one of the importers.

Anyone have any solid info on these?

M<artin
Attachments
BulgAKMT2PBlkFs.jpg
BulgAKMT2PBlkBs.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Bulgarian AKM Type II Painted Black

Post by Brian »

I think I have one of these too, from Chris. I think he may have some info on them, similar to what you have mentioned.
Brian
- Admin -
croblade

Post by croblade »

There were photos of Russian 6h4 black bayonet going around. Story was that Russian black 6h4 bayonets were made for specnaz. I never found any proof for that story. In my opinion that black Russian 6h4 bayonet was painted in black in Bulgaria together with Bulgarian black bayonets.
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Croblade,

Along with the bayonet I pictured my friend also had a Bulgarian knife in an Izhevsk scabbard painted black with the typical Bulgarian black leather hanger and wrist strap as with this bayonet. Therefore, I would agree with your assessment and consider we have evidence for such a conclusion.

Martin
croblade

Post by croblade »

I also have few Russian 6h4 bayonets that come to Croatia during Homeland war from Bulgaria. They are interested because they are mixed IZHMASH/Tula bayonets with restamped serial numbers. In Bulgaria they were repaired, old serial numbers were removed and new 4-digs were added. These were last 4 numbers from rifle's serial number. Same restamped serial number I found on German M1974 model that also come from Bulgaria.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The theory I heard and tend to agree with is that the Bulgarian military bought surplus stocks of new black DDR AKM 6X4 (Type II) bayonets to supplement their current production of black AK74 6X5 (Type III). Along with this they reworked their current orange colored AKM 6X4 (Type II) bayonets when turned in and painted them black to conform to the other issued bayonets and to place them in reserve. As they are currently available from various sources, it is obvious that they are now being sold as surplus.
These three bayonets pictured are representative sample from my collection. One is a reworked orange Bulgarian 6X4 with miss-matched original numbers. It has been completely painted black, (rather crudely), and has a new Bulgy black leather wrist strap and hanger. The next one is a new matching DDR 6X4 that has been renumbered with the typical hand etched 4 digit Bulgy numbers and has new Bulgy black leather wrist strap and hanger added. The third one is another new matching DDR 6X4 that has been renumbered with the typical hand etched 4 digit Bulgy numbers. It has retained the DDR long grey leather hanger and grey fabric wrist strap. In addition this one has a third set of matching 4 digit hand engraved numbers not in the Bulgy style. It is unknown who and where the third set of numbers were added, but the bayonet and scabbard are still in new, unused condition!? M.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Just noticed that one of the pictures above wasn't very good. Had this DDR - Bulgy bayonet out today and took a new picture showing the two sets of matching numbers. Mike
Yugo - DDR both matching numbers.jpg