Mysterious Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonet & Scabbard?

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Mysterious Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonet & Scabbard?

Post by Mr. B. »

This morning while browsing on the "The AK Forum" I noticed a Hungarian AKM 6X3 bayonet and scabbard listed for sale. As I looked at the pictures I noticed it was unusual. Perhaps a missing link between the early internal issue version and the later / export version. The bayonet had the late style solid brown plastic type grips. The only noticeable markings were a 4 digit serial number on the left side of the cross guard similar to those found on the early version. Other than the numbers, a typical late version. The scabbard was the early version with the machined cutter plate, but with no apparent markings or numbers. Normally the early scabbards are found with a three digit serial on the cutter plate stop. The later version is usually found with a stamped cutter plate. This item was in very good condition and looked matched for age and wear. It looked original with the correct insulator, but missing the hanger and hand strap. Price was only $50.00 shipped, so nothing special noted.
When I went back to examine it closer and possible buy it, the pictures were gone. It had been sold. I didn't even get a chance to study or copy the pictures. Did anyone else notice this item? Has anyone else seen or own one like it? I would like to have more opinions / knowledge about this version and possibly pictures.
Regards, Mike
steelmonkey

Re: Mysterious Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonet & Scabbard?

Post by steelmonkey »

I saw that one too but didn't go in for a close look, unfortunately.

My money tree was tapped out for the week buying some threaded barrels for a Glock & Beretta for my suppressors to mount too.

I didn't expect to see it lasting too long. It'll probably wind up on the AK Files or GoneBroker at least twice what he paid for. ;)
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is another unusual Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard variation. This combination features an early bayonet with the marbled grip panels. There are no markings or numbers on the bayonet. The scabbard is a typical late style with the stamped metal cutter plate. The scabbard is also unmarked or numbered and has the usual rubber insulator.

After seeing these two miss-matched examples, early vs late, I wonder if these are "transitional" versions? The standard Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbard are basically the same. At some point in time the material used in molding the bayonet grip panels was changed from a marbled appearance to a plain brown material. The original early scabbards used a fully machined wire cutter plate. At some point this was replaced with a simplified, less expensive stamped metal cutter plate. The change overs of the bayonet grips and the scabbard cutter plates may not have happened at the same time. Mixes may have occurred during production or post production as extra pieces were combined from reserves. The same thing may have happened with the numbering. The early bayonets usually had a 4 digit number stamped on the cross guard with the matching final 3 digits stamped on the wire cutter stop on the end of the scabbard. Normally the late version bayonets and scabbards were unmarked and un-numbered, The only exception was the occasional import / export markings. Any other markings /numbers were from considered to be from secondary owner / users.
Mike
Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I Transitional Early -Late 1.jpg
Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I Transitional Early -Late 2.jpg
Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I Transitional Early -Late 3.jpg
Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I Transitional Early -Late 4.jpg
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

The bayonet number 3. with the sealed cover plates is very rare to find and should have the first scabbard variant 1.
Mike, I agree with you, as you described it, that there was a mixture during the production, but since there is no numbering, this sheath type can also have been paired with this bayonet due to other circumstances.

Das Bajonett Nr.3 mit den Versiegelten Abdeckplättchen ist sehr selten zu finden und sollte die erste Scheidenvariante 1. haben.
Mike ich ich stimme dir zu, wie Du es beschrieben hast , dass bei der Herstellung Vermischungen gegeben hat, da aber keine Nummerierung vorhanden sind , kann dieser Scheidentyp auch durch andere Umstände mit diesen Bajonett verpaart wurden sein.

G.
Attachments
Ungarn M.63 4 Varianten 1 - Kopie.JPG
Ungarn M.63 4 Varianten - Kopie - Kopie.JPG
Scabbard type.JPG