Yugoslavian AKM Type II

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Hombre

Yugoslavian AKM Type II

Post by Hombre »

Here is the other one which I got today... I believe it is Yugoslavian AKM Type II... Grateful for opinions...

Best,
Stefan
1.JPG
1.JPG (46.44 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (47.02 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Hombre

Re: Yugoslavian AKM Type II

Post by Hombre »

...and here is one more picture...
6.JPG
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Your collection appears to be multiplying like rabbits. :)
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Nice example of a Yugoslavian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and scabbard. These are often referred to as a Model 1970, (M-70). From the scabbard details this one is the latest variation. The wrist strap appears to be original and correct. The hanger is not original, but a type frequently found on these bayonets. This is a nice example of a field expedient replacement. Hangers like this appeared during the Balkan conflict and were made and used by various countries. Evidently there was a shortage of original Yugo hangers. Various designs and pieces were used to make up replacements, some were very crude and others like this, were very well done. This one used a surplus pack strap hook in place of the original wire loop and snap hook. The bayonet and scabbard also have nice matching original issue numbers. The hand etched markings on the blade ricasso and the scabbard cutter plate are interesting and are found in some form on almost all Yugo AKM bayonets. They are the final proof and acceptance marks after the pairing of a bayonet to a scabbard and testing the wire cutter function. The production of the bayonets and the scabbards usually does not happen at the same time or even the same place. Once they are paired they can be then be matched with a rifle and the serial numbers are added for storage or issue.
Mike
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Thank you so very much for the information, Mike!
I must admit that I am amazed of your knowledge and super impressed...
I have a lot to learn and it is very important that there are people like you out there who take the time and share your knowledge... Once again, thank you so very much!

Best,
Stefan
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thank you. Part of the enjoyment of a hobby is being able to share it with others. I have collected bayonets and rifles, etc.. for over 60 years. I have narrowed my focus to only AK Bayonets for the last 35+ years. When I started there was virtually no information available about them, they were a complete mystery. It has been an ongoing learning experience for all of us.
Some things to know. I am old and retired, but have time to enjoy my life and hobbies. I am not always right and often make mistakes. There are always new things to learn. This is a Forum where we exchange information, pictures, opinions, ideas, theories, etc. regarding a common interest. Many, if not all the reference books that have come along have "errors and omissions" as published. New information has come along over the years and publishing updated and revised books takes time and money. It's much easier to share this new information online with sites like this one.
Feel welcome to participate, Ask questions, and share what you have and know. Sometimes there are no correct answers. Learn what you can and form your own opinion.
Mike
MB1984

Post by MB1984 »

I also notice "K2" or "Y3?" on magazines as well as this electro pencil marking
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, these type of markings are consistent with all types of military, if not civilian production. They are both from quality control and assembly and function of parts and sub assemblies. On a magazine it could mean the parts, (body, bottom, spring and follower), had been assembled and functioned correctly. And/or that it mounted and functioned correctly in a weapon.
Normally these marking are not of interest to a collector, but can help to identify an item at times.
Mike