Hungarian AKM Type I

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Hombre

Hungarian AKM Type I

Post by Hombre »

As very new when it comes to collecting AK Bayonets I should really appreciate your opinions about this one...
I think it is an AKM Type I from Hungaria... Am I correct? Any opinions at all should be very much appreciated.

Best,
Stefan
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Hungarian AKM Type I

Post by Mr. B. »

Wow! Really nice find for a "new" collector. Yes, it is an Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard complete with all the correct accessories. Even the more common late or commercial version is getting harder to find particularly with the complete hanger as the top/belt loop is usually missing. However, this one is particularly rare as it is an early or first version. These were made for internal issue in Hungary. The grip panels are marbled with semi-clear material and embedded fiber reinforcement. The later versions were of solid brown material. The early version was also numbered in this style and placement, the later ones were un-numbered. The early version scabbard has a fully machined cutter plate where the later ones used the stamped cutter plates. Check out the information and pictures under "Hungary" on this Forum. Mike
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Very nice Hungarian munkazor bayonet. Like Mike said its a rare variant not that easy to obtain. And yours appear to be in a very nice condition!
Congrats!!
furtium

Post by furtium »

Yes, that's a pretty one you have there.
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Thank you very much for your nice words, guys! I really appreciate it!
Except reading forums which is the best book to get when it comes to Kalashnikov bayonets?

Best,
Stefan
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Depends what languages you read. There are literature in both Russian and Polish, but to my knowledge there is only one offer written in English.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

For me the most comprehensive reference will always be "Kalashnikov Bayonets" by Martin Ivie, (who is a member on this Forum). It does help me that it is in English. A lot of changes and new information have occurred since it was published, but the basics are all there. I also have references in Polish, Czech, German, Russian, etc.. They are all helpful, but the most current information will always be available online with the various forums and collector's pages, etc..
Martin's book is still available on eBay, Amazon and other book sellers. Martin may also have copies available if you contact him directly. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

BTW ...... For example, this particular early Hungarian bayonet is not included in Martin's book. Information about it came later. Mike
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Thank you, guys! I have to look for Martins book... I read Swedish of course :) but also English...
I can consider books written in other languages but then they must have very good pictures instead so I can get something out of it...

/Stefan
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, I have tried to obtain all the reference books as they become available. And yes, I bought them mostly for the pictures. Which was probably a mistake. The actual information is in the text! The pictures are difficult to learn from and often misleading, especially without the accompanying text and context. Fortunately I can read some German and Polish which helps. However to be correct I have spent hours translating several books and a lot of articles. I live in a university, (international), city and have friends and students that have helped translate others. Old info confirmed, new info learned and even conflicting info to consider. Being logical and analytical helps, but always remember this is just a hobby for fun. Not a matter of life or death. Enjoy! Mike