AK Rifle & Bayonet Packing Case?

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

AK Rifle & Bayonet Packing Case?

Post by Mr. B. »

I recently found this picture and thought I would share it. It shows how AKM rifles are packed for shipping/storage. From the factory they would probably be consecutive numbered with matching numbered bayonets and scabbards. Ten rifles with slings on the lower level, Bayonets with scabbards, hangers and straps on top. A packing/inventory list in the middle. Magazines and other accessories on the left side.
This one seems to be Russian, but I have seen pictures of other similar cases from other countries. This particular picture caught my attention for one reason. Look closely and see if you can spot what took my eye. Mike
Kalashnikov AK Bayonets in storage case 1.jpeg
furtium

Re: AK Rifle & Bayonet Packing Case?

Post by furtium »

Transitional bayonets on the right?
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

So I see a mix of Russian 6X3 and 6X4
Bayonets.
left side 6X4 first from above without color number on the handle. The other 4 with white color numbers on the handle side.
Bayonet 4 with GDR gray carrying device and white color number on the scabbard.
Bayonets right side, 3 bayonets 6X3 whereby the third could be made of dark Tula. 4th and 5th 6X3 with plastic sheath.
Everything put together nicely, doesn't look like a contract delivery.
I think this is meant for me :)))

also ich sehe ein Mix von russischen 6X3 und 6X4
Bajonetten.
linke seite 6X4 erstes von oben ohne Farbnummer auf dem Griff .Die anderen 4 mit weißer farbenummern auf der Griffseite.
Bajonett 4 mit DDR grauer Tragevorrichtung, und weißer Farbnummer auf der Scheide.
Bajonette rechte Seite, 3 Bajonette 6X3 wobei das dritte dunkle Tula herstellung sein könnte. 4.und 5. 6X3 mit Plastikscheide.
Alles schön durcheinder zusammen gestellt ,sieht nicht nach einer Vertragslieferung aus.
ich denke das ist für mich bestimmt :)))
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, Top three scabbards on the right are Type I, the rest are Type II. The bayonets in these three scabbards could be either Type I (6X3) or Type II (6X4) transitionals, difficult to tell. Or could some or all of the bayonets and scabbards be reworked/refinished and being re-issued? Perhaps the rifles could also be either new or reconditioned. Packed for internal shipment and issue/re-issue or possibly long term reserve/storage. Or even shipment for a foreign contract. Lots of questions and no real answers. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Gerhard, I had not noticed the white numbers on the sides. I did notice the hangers, a couple did look DDR, but could not imagine them in with the Russian bayonets. Perhaps just the lighting and reflections on shinny new hangers or smooth leather rework hangers? I am beginning to think this case was assembled just for you. 😁 Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

furtium wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:07 am Transitional bayonets on the right?
Hi Christopher, Definitely either 6X3 bayonets and scabbards OR 6X4 transitional bayonets in 6X3 scabbards. What are the odds that this particular case is where the change over was made? Actually after closer examination, I believe that this case represents reworked, reconditioned, refinished bayonets and scabbards. The rifles could be new or also be reconditioned. For reissue or reserve storage. Mike
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

I have a strange tingling sensation at this moment. ;)
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here's some more for you. Czech VZ58 rifles with Mags in pouches at the top. Slings and cleaning kits on top of pouches. Bayonets and scabbards on the left side, (someone has already gone through them?). Last picture is DDR AKM rifles with magazines. Unfortunately someone has already removed the bayonets and accessories. Mr. B.
Kalashnikov AK Bayonets in storage case 3.jpeg
Kalashnikov AK Bayonets in storage case 4.jpeg
Kalashnikov AK Bayonets in storage case 4.jpeg (31.31 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Kalashnikov AK Bayonets in storage case 2 (2).jpg