What is Behind the Upward Spiral of AK Bayonet Prices?

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

pwcosol

What is Behind the Upward Spiral of AK Bayonet Prices?

Post by pwcosol »

For the past year (at least for me), there has been very little action regarding AK bayonets. The same holds true for my other interest in America's own "tool-knife" bayonet...the MPBS M9. Though there does not seem to be any real shortage of at least AK bayonet variants to consider, prices have gotten to the point few examples are now seen under 100 U$D. Even the bargain-basement, plentiful to the point of being a irritant Romy 6x3s, are now being offered commonly for 50.-75. U$D! One factor partially responsible is likely the number of AK based rifle owners whom would like to outfit their particular variant with an appropriate bayonet. I also imagine some of these guys get the "AK bayonet bug" in the process (I did!). What say you...?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: What is Behind the Upward Spiral of AK Bayonet Prices?

Post by Brian »

Possibly also the increased info available. When you have more info on variations like this site and Facebook, you get more collectors and more education, and prices rise.
Our little secret is no longer secret anymore, and people realize this is a fascinating and complicated theme, and now sellers can easily find info.
Also, like you said, AK's are "in fashion" and their accessories are sought after. But you are correct. I haven't found a single good deal in ages and prices are rough.
Brian
- Admin -
pwcosol

Post by pwcosol »

Thanks Brian. Sounds right to me. Regarding social media sites, when the Bayonet Collector's Network disbanded in June of 2015, the founder went to FB. Much as I was disappointed, as Editor, to see the organization disband after 19 years, I was not going to join any SM website. My only concession is to sites like this one and a few others. One of the reasons why the BCN folded was many members were defecting to such sites (as our format was in the form of Email newsletters the Editor(s) formatted from member submissions and submitted to the membership up to three times a week). In any event, I am pleased to have gotten a number of nice AK bayonets when they were more reasonable in price...
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

I agree with Brian on this. With knowledge comes power, so to speak.