New member intro

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Re: New member intro

Post by Mr. B. »

Mr. B. wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 pm "Correct Mike, none of the 6x2s have drain holes. Please find the closeup images I took of them over the summer. Unfortunately, these are all I have and do not have any of just the scabbards."

I had already been inspecting your original picture. That is why I asked. All 5 appear to be Russian Izhevsk made AK47 bayonets. However I believe that they are all made for Finland and not Russian issue. The 3 on the left are 1st contract with the early 2 band scabbards. The 2 on the right are 2nd contract with the later 1 piece hanger bracket. I believe they are Finnish because of no drain holes in the scabbards and the style and placement of the numbers. Also, I believe I can see that the 3 with unwrapped hangers have what appears to be stitching attaching the hilt loop to the fabric hanger. The Russian hangers used a single rivet. To further confirm this, the Russian issue bayonets would have an acceptance stamp on the right side of the pommel. The Finns do not. By the way, I display my Finnish ones along with the Russian ones as they are Russian made. Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

BlastCrab wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:55 pm
ilian wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 am Hi,

Welcome ! You have a great collection sir.

But it's sad to see some chinese replica (T81 and T87) of the middle of these beauties
Thanks for your response. These were both ebay purchases, and for relatively cheap, so I am not surprised. I am very curious though how you see these are repros so easily.

Thanks,
Leather frog and wrong scabbard coloration on Type 81 and the Type 87 replica have the cutting part on the wrong side of the scabbard.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I am really enjoying seeing and inspecting your collection. You have picked up an excellent selection of common to rare items. There are several that I would like to display in my collection. Hope you don't mind me asking question and making comments. Just want to understand what I'm seeing, always interested to learn new things.

Just a small observation, Why does the 1st bayonet and scabbard under Hungarian have what appears to have a Polish hanger and possibly a Polish wrist strap? The bayonet and scabbard are indeed Hungarian, (It's stamped "Made in Hungary FEG right on the crossguard"). I doubt that an import marked bayonet would have come in with Polish accessories. You seem to have the correct hangers and straps on the rest of the Hungarians. The Hungarian hangers are 2 separate pieces with 2 snap hooks. The Hungarian straps use 2 buckles. The Polish straps are unique as the small loop at the pommel is sewn. Mike
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

Sorry I went silent, been swamped the last 10 days.

ilian, thank you for the info. Appreciate it.

Mike, thanks for the info on my T1s. Ill still count them as Russian. But I do have one on the way to me from across the pond that is a proper Russian 6x2.
You are also correct on the first Hungarian. If came from the seller with Polish accouterments and I didn't have an extra set od Hungarian leather to change it when the picture was taken. I do now and plan to correct it once I get back to where they are stored.
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Very nice collection. Welcome to the group.
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

MDIvie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:13 am Very nice collection. Welcome to the group.
Thank you Sir. I have a few more additions to post, but I am waiting to photograph until they all arrive.
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Hello everyone, my account just got approved so I figure I'd check in. I've been lurking around this forum for some time as I have found it to be the premier source of AK bayonet info on the net. Some of the topics discussed here are beyond anything I have read elsewhere, and in such detail. My collection of AK bayonets is quite small at only 44 different examples.
I'm a big fan of the AK platform and have been for decades...
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

Welcome aboard Carlos, thats a great collection you have.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hello Carlos. Very nice examples of the various AK bayonets, (and matching scabbards hopefully?)! I am also very envious of the "accessories" you display them on!? I assume your primary interest is the rifles and the bayonets are the extras? Mike
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Hello Mr. B. Yes, fortunately I have matching scabbards for each, and all have their wrist straps and hangers. As far as the interest, I'd say it's equal, but ultimately cheaper to get an AK bayonet versus an AK rifle, especially in today's market; the days of cheap AKs are long gone. I'd go broke trying to get a rifle for each of my 44 AK bayonets, but maybe if I ever hit the lottery I'll give it a shot.

My interest is actually broader than just AKs, extending to ARs (I have been building them for decades and build my own), FALs, G3s, pistols, and classic rifles (K98, M-Ns, Lee-Enfields, US M1s, etc.). Regardless, if any of those came with a mount, I have a bayonet for it. Except my Uzi.
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Welcome to the site, CarlosC.