6X2 Bayonet Identification

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

alphaDAM

6X2 Bayonet Identification

Post by alphaDAM »

Hey guys, got a couple bayos here that i'm trying to confirm so i can match up with kits & rifles. any help would be greatly appreciated.

this one came with what looks like a bulgy scabbard and the bayo looks blued
DSC_0236.60.jpg
DSC_0237.60.jpg
DSC_0238.60.jpg
DSC_0240.60.jpg
alphaDAM

Re: 6X2 Bayonet Identification

Post by alphaDAM »

DSC_0241.60.jpg
DSC_0242.60.jpg
DSC_0243.60.jpg
DSC_0244.60.jpg
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

this one is very rough. appears to be late russian scabbard and early bayo with wood?
DSC_0245.60.jpg
DSC_0246.60.jpg
DSC_0247.60.jpg
DSC_0248.60.jpg
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

DSC_0255.60.jpg
DSC_0253.60.jpg
DSC_0257.60.jpg
DSC_0256.60.jpg
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

this one appears to be late russian scabbard with VERY thin leather, russian bayo
DSC_0258.60.jpg
DSC_0259.60.jpg
DSC_0260.60.jpg
DSC_0261.60.jpg
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

DSC_0263.60.jpg
DSC_0262.60.jpg
DSC_0265.60.jpg
DSC_0264.60.jpg
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

and my last appears to be early russian scabbard and russian bayo?
DSC_0266.60.jpg
DSC_0267.60.jpg
DSC_0268.60.jpg
DSC_0269.60.jpg
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

DSC_0270.60.jpg
DSC_0271.60.jpg
DSC_0273.60.jpg
DSC_0272.60.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Adam, I'll try to help identify these bayonets and scabbards the best I can from the pictures provided. I would usually prefer to call this style of bayonets as AK47, rather than us the Russian 6X2 designation. All four of the bayonets pictured were made in Russia at the Izhevsk Arsenal. They all have the arrow in triangle arsenal mark stamped on the left side of the cross guard. Bayonets 1A and 4A have what appear to be Russian style serial numbers stamped on the left side of the pommel. The numbers are irregular and follow the curve of the pommel. Bayonets 2A and 3A have smaller, more aligned numbers stamped in a straight angle which is more Finnish in appearance. To further ID theses bayonets you must examine the right side of the pommel for markings that can't be seen in your pictures. The ones accepted, issued and used by the Russians will have a flattened diamond containing the letters CB on the right side of the pommel. If there is no acceptance mark the bayonet, they were made for export to other countries, most commonly this was Finland.
You can also check out the posts on AK47 bayonets on this forum under this topic and under each of the individual countries that used issued/used them. More on the scabbards later. Hope this helps. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Picture of a Russian military acceptance mark on the right side of an AK47 pommel. Mike
IMG_0084_LI.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Now for the scabbards. Scabbards are more difficult to identify as they are usually unmarked and un-numbered. They can only identified by general features and appearance.
1B is an early two bar Bulgarian scabbard that has been reworked/repaired. The Bulgarian scabbards typically have the drain hole on the back side and two rivets securing the hilt strap to the hanger. This one has had the internal chape rivet drilled out and a replacement style hanger installed.
The last three, 2B, 3B and 4B are all Russian, but with different variations. 2B is an early 2 bar scabbard. Typically the Russian ones have the drain hole in the front and the hilt strap is secured to the hanger by one rivet. This one also has an unusual flat sided stud on the hilt strap. Unfortunately, the hanger has been badly damaged. 3B is also an early two bar Russian scabbard. Again the drain hole is in the front and a single rivet on the hanger. The all leather hanger may be original, but I believe it is probably a replacement. Usually the original hangers are fabric with a leather or synthetic hilt strap. Nice example of an early scabbard. 4B is a later style Russian scabbard. Drain hole is in front and it has the one piece sheet metal hanger bar. This is a very nice example of an original scabbard. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

To sum up all four bayonets and scabbards. You have four Russian made bayonets that may be either Russian or Finnish. You have one reworked Bulgarian scabbard and three different Russian ones. My suggestion would be to combine the bayonets with the military acceptance mark with the Russian scabbards according to condition. If any of the bayonets are without the acceptance mark they are Finnish and belong in Finnish scabbards. The Finnish scabbards have no drain holes and the hilt straps are secured to the hangers by sewing. I hope this info helps. Mike
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

hey mike, greatly appreciate your info. that helps a ton to determine which ones go with certain rifles and what stays and goes. unfortunately, none of the bayos have russian proof marks on the right side

any thoughts on what year the transition to the late style single hanger bar might be on the scabbard?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

It seems unusual to find that many AK47 bayonets without the Russian military acceptance marks. Especially with the different styles and placement of numbering. Usually these would be considered as from the Finnish contracts, but they could also have been produced for export to other countries that used the AK47 rifles. If so they would probably have been provided with regular Russian scabbards such as you have. The numbering could have been done in Russia or the by the recipients.
The Russians produced the AK47 6X2 bayonets and scabbards from 1955 to 1960. The early scabbards had two individual hanger mounting bars that carried over from the Tokarev and Simonov scabbards. Later production was simplified using a one piece stamped flat metal hanger bracket. To my knowledge, there is no available record of when this change was made. Mike
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

thanks mike! on the bayo labeled 2A, the grip panels appear to be made of wood and is not the chinese color or pattern wood. are there any bakelite grip panels that had woodgrain patterns like this? unlike the AKM's, do these simply unscrew? if so i guess i could just remove and inspect/test the back side
DSC_0249.60.jpg
DSC_0250.60.jpg
DSC_0251.60.jpg
DSC_0252.60.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, I had noticed that the grips appeared different on 2A as well. It is possible that some early Russian AK47 bayonets may have used wood grip panels. However this would be quite rare. Also the early Russian bayonets were numbered on the right side of the pommel. I believe from closer inspection that the pictures that the grips on 2A are a molded bakelite material that has been lightly sanded. Below is a picture of a Finnish contract bayonet, (bottom), from my collection with similar grips. Also note the style and placement of the numbers, particularly the "1". Mike
Finnish AK bayonet variations 3.jpg
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

oh yes, that makes better sense on the grips