Russian 6x4 EL Salvadorian Police?

Countries such as Cuba, Latvia, Lithuania, Croatia, Vietnam etc with their own frogs/modifications etc.

Moderator: Mr. B.

pwcosol

Russian 6x4 EL Salvadorian Police?

Post by pwcosol »

I just picked this bayonet up and expect to have it in couple of weeks. The seller's description piqued my interest and the price was reasonable enough so decided to acquire it. I asked the seller if he had any additional information about this bayonet other than what he learned from the tag which was on the bayonet when he got it, but stated he did not. From what I could learn, El Salvador's Army and Civil Guard use American M16 platform rifles. Of course, by the 1989 date being referenced on the tag attached to the bayonet in question's scabbard, not sure what they might have been using more than a quarter of a century ago. I do know their opponents, the FMLN, used a host of various weapons from Russia and the Warsaw Pact nations, among others. I will know more when the piece arrives. Thoughts welcome...
Russ6x4ELSal1.jpg
Russ6x4ELSal1.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 9753 times
Russ6x4ELSALSusp.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Russian 6x4 EL Salvadorian Police?

Post by Mr. B. »

Nice find! Very intriguing! Unusual hanger and stick-on I.D. tag. It would be nice to see detailed pictures and description of any markings and other differences when you receive it. The bayonet and scabbard appear to be Russian or possible Bulgarian manufacture. Field expedient wrist strap. Mike
furtium

Post by furtium »

It is a Russian bayonet as I recall from the listing on Gunbroker. I bought some bayonets from this same seller. Was that you bidding against me for that nice Russian 6x3?

I think field expedient hangers are interesting and if I ever downgrade the collection, I could see concentrating on just that for endless varieties!

I looked around, but not very hard, to find someone in El Salvador with a bayonet like this. It would be great to see one with this hanger style in action. Will continue to search around.
pwcosol

Post by pwcosol »

I did get the piece off G.B. Put in a bid and think it cost me $69.00/delivered. I recall the seller wanted double the amount ($14.00) for shipping, when one could send it via USPS PM Flat rate for $6.80. The bayonet is a matching Izhevsk, non-rework example. The suspension is of natural leather with the outer surfaces dyed black. The snaps are typical commercial ones available worldwide. With the date on the tag, which was on bayonet when seller got it, the previous owner must have used it to identify this particular piece for reference. My guess is, if the tag is to be believed, either he or whomever he got the bayonet from, must have known where it came from. Of course, this is speculation and perhaps some additional research might help to verify or refute this.