Early VZ58 Bayonet with 3 rivet grip

Czech VZ58 Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

MDIvie

Early VZ58 Bayonet with 3 rivet grip

Post by MDIvie »

Another bayonet I picked up at SAR. This one is a Czech VZ58 variation I had not previously seen. It is the early style (in fact the scabbard is dated 1961) with the short tang and rounded hilt. This bayonet is unusual in that it has three rivets visible in the grip.
Attachments
VZ58STRH3RFs.jpg
VZ58STRH3RBs.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Early VZ58 Bayonet with 3 rivet grip

Post by Brian »

There are a bunch of VZ58 bayonets that just came into South Africa. Picked up 5 different ones a few weeks ago. One rivet, 2 rivets and 3 rivets. With extended guard and without. And extended tang and without.
Will have to post some pics.
I was also lucky to buy an early wood grip one from a friend, and when I got it home, saw I had accidentally picked one of the very early ones. Axxx serial number.
Soooo much variety in these, never mind the scabbards!
Brian
- Admin -
croblade

Post by croblade »

Here is one "as new"...
Photo 18.11.2015. 19 15 03.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I agree that MDI's pictures are of a early Type I bayonet, however the grips and rivets are a result of a field repair or rework. The original grip should be a one piece wood one. The wood grips were susceptible to cracking, splitting, and working loose due to the elements and usage. They were recalled and replaced with the Type II's. Yes, many of the Type I's were authorized for repair and rework and the original grip replaced by a specified method. The authorized rework would only have two rivets in an specific placement. It is my opinion that a majority of the VZ58 recently on the market have been repaired or reworked have been held in reserve before being sold as surplus. This results in an almost endless variety of non-original variations making collection difficult.

Croblade's picture appears to be a Type II bayonet and if it has three rivets, (hard to see?), it may be "as new", but would also be a field repaired or reworked bayonet.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here's one of my versions of a repaired/reworked Type II with three non-standard rivets. The original wood chip and glue Type II molded grips have been replaced with Type III flat grips by using a non authorized wood filler. The authorized repair would have been Type II grips with standard two rivet placement or Type II grips with the authorized welded on tang extension. M.
IMG_2577.JPG
IMG_2578.JPG
IMG_2579.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here's another picture of the variety of rivet positions on the various bayonet patterns. M.
IMG_2656.JPG