Polish 6h3 "Type I" Handles

Polish AK bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

RPBCPS

Re: Polish 6h3 "Type I" Handles

Post by RPBCPS »

Once again, an excellent tutorial.

So, from what I have read, the black and dark brown grip 6H3's in my collection would be the early production and the light brown grip 6H3's are the later production?
6H3 Lineup.jpg
The black grip 6H3 also has the sewn version of the hanger rather than the riveted.
6H3 hangers.jpg
One of the light brown grip 6H3's does not have a serial number, all the others have matching five digit serial numbers.

Thank you all once again.
Richard
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

As a result of my recent research involving Polish AK bayonet and scabbard production I re-examined Gerhard's post and pictures above. In combination with the translated information from several references, I decided to re-evaluate the AKM 6H3 bayonets in my collection. These bayonets were only made under license from Russia for approximately 4 years, (1968 - 72). The only major variation was in the materials and colors of the molded grip panels. Originally Poland decided to use their own material known as "Modofen". This was a thermosetting plastic which required the use of a filler, (cotton fiber?), to be added. I have been unable to confirm which colors and combination of fillers were first used or how long the Modofen was used. At some point in time Poland switched to using the Russian supplied AG-4W material to replace the Modofen. This changed the color and appearance of the grips, eliminating the visible filler material. Below are close-up pictures of my 6 bayonets showing the visual differences. The order and differences have no real distinction, just differences in production and materials. I tried to post them from what I consider early to late, but with no actual confirmation. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are the Polish AKM 6H3 bayonets from my collection. As a note, the earliest examples have been found with blued finished scabbards. Later scabbards were painted black similar to the Russian 6X3 production. I have an early blued scabbard, but unfortunately it came with a miss-matched bayonet. This makes the bayonet age undeterminable.
The first bayonet below is what is considered to be the first variation. The grips appear near black with red flakes. Closer examination shows more of a transparent material, (Modofen), with embedded reddish colored fabric filler. Mike
Polish 6H3 handles 1R.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 1.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 1C.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is the second variation in my collection. The grips appear to be a dark reddish brown material, (Modofen). The visible fabric filler material also appears to be reddish in color. Mike
Polish 6H3 handles 2R.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 2.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 2C.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is the third bayonet from my collection. This is the one with the miss-matched blued scabbard. It is possible that this may be the earliest/rarest bayonet because of the scabbard, the stitched dark hanger and Gerhard's comments in the previous posts. It has grips that appear dark brown transparent material, (Modofen), with lighter colored fabric filler material. Mike
Polish 6H3 handles 3R.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 3.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 3C.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the forth bayonet from my collection. I am unsure what the grip material is, Modofen or AG-4? In my opinion I believe it is still reddish orange transparent Modofen. However it has a different filler material. It is lighter colored and much coarser/chopped. I presents the appearance of being larger solid pieces embedded. It is not "marbled" as usually seen with AG-4 material. Mike
Polish 6H3 handles 4R.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 4.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 4C.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is the fifth bayonet from my collection. This grips on this one appear to be AG-4 material. It has a solid marbled appearance where the colors blends/flows during the molding process. It is the same appearance as the the Russian and Bulgarian bayonets and scabbards using AG-4. This represents late 6H3 production and carries over into the molding of 6H4 hilts starting in 1972. Mike
Polish 6H3 handles 5R.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 5.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 6C.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the sixth, and last example from my collection. It is very similar to the last one and appears to be molded from AG-4 material. It shows the different marbled appearance of the molding. It appears that the dyes/coloring used with the AG-4 base material do not fully blend as it is heated to be injected into the molds. These last two bayonets and scabbards are un-numbered and in unissued/like new condition. Possibly un-needed late production and replaced by 6H4 bayonets. As a side note the change from 6H3 to 6H4 involved only the bayonets, the scabbards straps and hangers remained the same. The earliest 6H4 production even carried over the 5 digit numbers from the 6H3. Mike
Polish 6H3 handles 6R.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 6.jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 5C.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are enlarged pictures of the first three bayonets above. I believe these three are molded of Modofen plastic and have visible fabric filler. This filler is apparently small pieces of light colored woven fabric, (cotton according to one reverence). Below are samples of Black, Dark Reddish brown and Dark Brown. The fabric pieces are most visible in these pictures in the center area of the grips. It is difficult to get the lighting and angles just right for the pictures. Mike
Polish 6H3 handles 1 (2).jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 2 (2).jpg
Polish 6H3 handles 3 (2).jpg
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Nice job Mike, thanks!

I'm too lazy to do that.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You have some excellent references on Polish bayos!
On the down side...you are creating much more work for those of us trying to get all the variations :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Just when you think you are making progress, along comes Mike and shows you how many more you need to look for and classify. :D
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, many minor variations probably not worth trying to collect. The information and knowledge is interesting, that along with pictures is usually enough. Always something new to learn. Don't forget how my research into the Czech VZ58 bayonets and scabbards simplified collecting them. If you read about them in Ivie's book it seems like there are a vast number of variations to collect. In actuality they only made and issued 3 different designs with a couple authorized variations.
I try to draw the line with mold and inspection markings unless they signify some other physical/visual change or variation.
Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are better pictures of one of the Polish AKM 6H3 Type I bayonet and scabbard in the 1st post on this subject. I have also heard that the solid orange grips are from being replace during rework. The pictures below were posted today on an AK Bayonet Collector FB page. (Thanks, C.H.).
Both the orange handled bayonet at the start of this post and the one below seem to be like new with original matching numbers. Hard to believe that they are reworked in any way. Note both sets of numbers are low, 1013 and 2367. I have 4 Polish reference books and none of them refer to these orange arsenal, (oval 11), marked grip panels.
I have seen other pictures and information about these grip panels in various places. I, as well as others, believe that Poland was experimenting with different materials to mold the grips. They started with Modofen, (Duroplast) with filler material and the switched to the Russian AG-4W which was solid with a marble appearance. The grips below appear to be a solid smooth plastic material made for testing as prototypes and possible issue for field testing. Never adopted, replaced by the other materials or the new 6H4 bayonets.
Does anyone else have one of these or any information about them?
Mike
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 1.jpg
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 3.jpg
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 4.jpg
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 2.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a few more pictures of the experimental orange handled bayonet. Mike
Attachments
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 12.jpg
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 10.jpg
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 8.jpg
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 6.jpg
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 6.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
Polish AKM 6H3 Type 1 Orange Circle 11 5.jpg
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Mike,
Can you provide a link to the FB collectors page?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

How about this? https://www.facebook.com/groups/527907864076148
BTW ..... I am "William Michaels" on FB. Different names, different faces, on different places.
Mike (Mr. B.)
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

I cant access the group/page via that link as it appears to be for members only. Is there a name of the group/page?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Try This: AK Bayonet Buy/Sell/Trade and Discussion
Private group·1.0K members
pwcosol

Post by pwcosol »

Gents:
Been awhile since I posted anything. Seems things have slowed down on the AK bayo collecting front for some time due to lack of new material. No doubt the wordwide Covid pandemic deserves some blame as well. In any event, our largest collector show of the year was finally held "as usual" the first weekend of December (with last year's event a substantially smaller one held outdoors in tents). I had a very productive show this time in regards to both sales and acquisitions...three of which are pictured below. I noticed a fellow pulling a metal cart behind him with several AK bayonets on top of his stack of material inside. With my interest piqued, I approached him. A conversation ensued and he came to my table to sort out what he had for sale and I got the three 6H3 bayonets.

From top to bottom, a Hungarian 6H3 with rebated pommel "ears" to fit the AK 74. The conversion is flawless and there is no evidence of milling or grind marks on the rebated area. Condition of insulator (heat exposure) and traces of Iraqi white paint issue markings on scabbard indicate this one came out of the "sand box". Second is a Polish 6H3 unnumbered (both bayonet & scabbard) black with red flecks gripped example in very nice condition. I acquired it as a upgrade to my current example with number removed from crossguard and scabbard. Lastly, is a as new Polish 6H3 with the solid orange grips with molded "11 in oval" marking on the right one. Serial number is the one mentioned in a previous post (1013). The seller obviously knew AK bayonets extremely well. He mentioned a non-functioning home heating unit needing replacement was behind him selling the items he brought to the show. Hopefully I was able to help him reach that goal.
SAR West Haul 4.jpg
SAR West Haul 4.jpg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

You mean the world wide plandemic? Sure its to blame when governments fuck up their own countries on purpose due to a flu made in a lab!

Nice Polish bayos!!