North Korean AK47 Scabbard Close-ups

North Korean AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

North Korean AK47 Scabbard Close-ups

Post by Mr. B. »

Most Combloc countries made their AK47 scabbard bodies from a metal tube. The tube was flattened and crimped to a point and spot welded. An attachment bar or bars were then spot welded near the throat to attach the hanger. The North Koreans used a flat piece of sheet metal rolled around a mandrel and spot welded together the length of one side. The hanger bar is also a different shape than other countries. Here are close-ups of the differences. M.
Attachments
IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Re: North Korean AK47 Scabbard Close-ups

Post by Brian »

Useful info, thanks.
Brian
- Admin -
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

FYI, you will also find North Korean AK47 bayonets in flattened tube type scabbards. I have a friend that has a couple of these. They appear to be crudely assembled Soviet scabbards. I am speculating that these are early production scabbards using Soviet parts during the set up phase of North Korean AK production. I have attached photos of a NK AK47 bayonet I recently sold with such a scabbard.

MDI
Attachments
NKAK47Scab2.JPG
NKAK47Scab1.JPG
NKAK47F.JPG
NKAK47B.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

What makes it definitively N.Korean Martin? What are the signs to look for?
Just the little stamped star or....?
Brian
- Admin -
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Brian,

Bayonet has that stamped star or star in circle nearly on top of the rivet by the latch pull on the left side. For scabbard, the hanger is all sewn, no rivets. Also, for this extruded type scabbard, the welds are really crappy on the wrapped metal strap for the hanger to attach.

Martin
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Very nice. I wasn't aware of this scabbard variation. I agree that it is North Korean from the configuration of the hanger bar and the way it looks from the front side and the material and construction of the hanger. Now I have to find one of those and a N.K. transitional AK47/AKM bayonet. I hate to admit it but I have never seen one of those either except for pictures.

I also made an error about AK47 scabbard construction. I forgot about the Polish ones that are formed by one piece extrusion molding. It has no seams, flanges or welds except for spot welds on the back side to attach the hanger bracket. M.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I recently acquired a North Korean AK47 bayonet with an early flattened tube scabbard, (Russian or Russian style scabbard body?). Here are pictures of my North Korean bayonets, Left to Right: 1. Early with Russian style scabbard. This was a battle field pickup in S. Viet Nam in 1969. I could be just mixed up or a Russian made or copy used by N.K. with their bayonet. 2. Early with flattened tube scabbard and unusual hilt strap. 3. Early with wood grips, (possible rework or replacement) and a folded, spot welded seam scabbard. 4. Late style, this one is a extra one with a damaged hanger, (missing stud). 5. Late version in excellent condition. 6. & 7. are two different versions of the AKM bayonets. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG