AK47 Bayonet identification

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Re: AK47 Bayonet identification

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the AK47 bayonet that I believe to be Romanian. I does have the smaller font, but the numbers are a different style than some of the Bulgarian ones. Note the flat topped "3". I have included a comparison picture with two versions of the Romanian 6X3 Type I leather snap hook hanger. The leather appears different shades and this can be attributed to the fact that the 6X3 hangers have been issued and used, exposed to the elements. The AK47 bayonet was new in the wrapper, opened by me and has never been outside. Mike
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

There is another point to consider about the possibility of Romanian production, assembly, and use of a AK47 bayonet. Perhaps they did not manufacture their own version of the AK47 rifle, but this does not mean that did not import and use those made by other ComBloc countries. They could also have imported the bayonets, parts, machinery and/or technology to make the AK47 bayonets as well. Perhaps from Bulgaria or Russia? Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Got the bayonet mentioned above. Interesting, and in almost mint condition. Can't decide if it is Bulgarian, or if the Romanian theory is correct. Will post pics on the weekend. The hanger appears Romy. There is a removed serial or marking, which can be seen in the pics. Hanger is stiff and looks almost new.
Maybe Romania bought Bulgarian bayonets and outfitted them?
Brian
- Admin -
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Bulgarians also did leather with the embossing on certain items. If you note in the Photo showing the two Romanian AKM hangers and the scabbard and hanger for the AK47 bayonet in question, the Romanian leather is much redder in color than the more dark brown of the hanger on the AK47 scabbard. I believe that is a Bulgarian AK47 bayonet and scabbard and hanger. JMO.

MDI
LONDON ANDY

Post by LONDON ANDY »

Really useful post -Thank you Brian :-)

I do have one part that is confusing me about the scabbards - The two uses of 4th in conjunction with the corresponding pictures is not clear for me !
(passage copied below)
Am I missing something? :surrender:

"One last scabbard point, (pardon the pun), for today. To identify scabbards, observe the type of point style and the position or lack there of, of a drain hole in the tip of the scabbard. If the drain hole is in the front and it has a large flat flange it is from: 1st Russia, 2nd N. Korea. If it has a small flange and a hole in the front; 3rd China. Large flange and drain hole in back: 4th Bulgaria and Romania. Large flange NO drain hole: 4th Finland and DDR. No flange and no drain hole: 5th Poland."

Andy
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

You are correct Andy, very confusing. It must have made sense when I wrote it, but not now, must have been late at night. How about I revise it below?

"One last scabbard point, (pardon the pun), for today. To identify AK47 scabbards, observe the type of point style and the position or lack there of, a drain hole in the tip of the scabbard. If the drain hole is in the front and it has a large flat flange it is from; Russia or N. Korea. If it has a small flange and a hole in the front; China. Large flange and drain hole in back; Bulgaria or Romania. Large flange NO drain hole; Finland or E. Germany. No flange and no drain hole; Poland."

Hope that helps. Also refer to the individual countries section for further information and pictures.

Mike
LONDON ANDY

Post by LONDON ANDY »

Hi Mike

Makes perfect sense now - Thank you :-)

Andy
LONDON ANDY

Post by LONDON ANDY »

Hi again Mike

I think I have an East German AK47 bayonet but I can not find mention of East German traits in your guide ? Or am I missing something?
It has a serial number on the bottom 981 in silver/white.
The one I have purchased was covered in grease and still had the leather hanger wrapped in grease-proof type paper tied with string.
Any chance that you can enlighten me please?

Many thanks
Andy

p/s I would use photographs to show you but need to get a decent camera or better phone that takes decent pictures :-)
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Look under the "Germany" heading on this forum. Then click on " East German AK47 Bayonet & Scabbard Variations". That should answer your questions.
However to the best of my knowledge E.G. AK47 bayonets did not have leather hangers and did not come wrapped with grease paper. Sounds like it could be Bulgarian, Romanian, Russian or maybe Finnish.
Suggest you look at the posts about AK47 bayonets and scabbards under each country on this forum and try to match up what you have.
Yes pictures would be a big help identifying an unknown item. Mike
LONDON ANDY

Post by LONDON ANDY »

Hi Mike

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :-)

I have now looked at the relevant posts on East Germany, Bulgaria, Romania, Russia & Finland and it appears that Bulgaria might be where one of my AK's originates.
If I can manage to get a couple of pictures and upload them would you have a look for me and let me know what you think please?
I have only recently started collecting AK/AKM's and so identifying them is not easy for me.
I have a collection of British & U.S. bayonets and a couple of other countries thrown in which I find a lot easier to identify.

Many thanks
All the best

Andy