Unknown - Mystery AKM Type II Bayonet

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Unknown - Mystery AKM Type II Bayonet

Post by Mr. B. »

This is one of three "Egyptian(?)" bayonets that I picked off a pile in Kuwait City in 1991. I had just started collecting AK bayonets and the only reference I had seen at that time was an article with pictures in the April 1987 issue od "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. My goal then was to find an example of all the ones in the pictures. Specifically I was looking for and Egyptian one as pictured. I found a couple nice ones with brown grips and matching Farsi numbers. One had a gray insulator and the other one was black. I noticed several with black grips and insulators and picked up a nice one with an unusual leather hanger and wrist strap, again with matching Farsi numbers. I never questioned, but assumed that they were liberated from the Iraqis. When I got home I studied the black one more closely and determined it was not like the other Egyptians. The scabbard was definitely not Egyptian and the bayonet was different in several ways as well. Pictures below compare it to an Egyptian brown grip. M.
IMG_2689.JPG
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG
IMG_2693.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Unknown - Mystery AKM Type II Bayonet

Post by Mr. B. »

More comparison pictures, Egyptian vs Mystery bayonet. Notice different saw teeth and the straight finish grind on the blade vs the circular marks on the mystery one. The hilt is also missing all the yellow gunk usually found around the grip edges. The scabbard has a smooth body and a milled cutter plate unlike the stamped Egyptian ones. M.
IMG_2692.JPG
IMG_2694.JPG
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2700.JPG
IMG_2701.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I have tried to compare this mystery bayonet to those from other ComBloc countries production and this is the closest match I have found. Below it is pictured with a Romanian AKM Type I bayonet. Could this be an early attempt by Romania to make a Type II bayonet and sold to Iraq with Type I bayonets? Scabbards match and so do the circular grind marks on the blades. just picked a random Romy for this comparison. Also note the black vs green insulator and the white vs brown hanger stitching. M.
IMG_2702.JPG
IMG_2703.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG
croblade

Post by croblade »

I like this all mixed bayonets, I put them in hybrid category in my collection. I buy them only if I get them from someone I am sure didn't have knowledge or interest in changing it to bet better price on marker.

I got one box of Maadi bayonets some time ago and in lot there were two bayonets with mixed Yugo/Maadi parts. Blade was Maadi and handle was M70.

BTW, this numbers on bayonet are not Farsi, they are Arabic (or Eastern Arabic, if we use Western Arabic). It is 1412 number or Arabic ١٤١٢, Farsi would be ۱۴۱۲

This could be Maadi bayonet in Romanian scabbard and with Romanian w/s and frog.
Maadi factory bought Romanian parts, I am sure for cross type hangers. I found lot of Maadi bayonets with Romanian belt hangers and they were still package, never used. So I believe it is possible they got these more common type of belt hanger, w/s and scabbards too.