East German AKM 6X3 Type I Scabbard differences

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Haberfeldtreiber

East German AKM 6X3 Type I Scabbard differences

Post by Haberfeldtreiber »

Hello,

I just got a 6x3 for a small project I mentioned in another topic.

Now I've taken a closer look at my two German 6x3s because I want to keep the better and more perfect one for the collection and modify the other one. Both are very well preserved. The old one is still completely unused and new, no marks on the sheath or blade, the new one has only been used very little.

I found out that both were made in Germany, not Russia. So far so good. The knives both have the same tang “K” stamping.
The sheath is different. There is a "K & X" and a "K & W". The welding point of the pin, the shape of the pin and also the grinding shapes are different. Do these two knives come from different manufacturing locations?

In addition, the handle of my new purchase was modified, presumably to fit an AK74. Unfortunately this only works if you remove the cleaning rod. With the cleaning rod attached, there are 1 to 2 millimeters needed to be removed. (Possibly made later by a collector or shooter?)

My previous 6x3 only has a serial number on the handle, my new one has the same number on the handle and sheath.
I also found a stamp with two "V"s on the rubber insulator, which I didn't know about either.

Long story short: Do you have any thoughts on my bayonets? Did I maybe get something special?
Which one would you use and which one would you hang in the display case?

Hopefully the pictures work, I'm still learning about using the forum.

Thanks for your time,

Benjamin
Attachments
20240117_185422.jpg
20240117_185052.jpg
20240117_185004.jpg
20240117_184909.jpg
20240117_184850.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: East German AKM 6X3 Type I Scabbard differences

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Benni,
The best thing to do is spend some time going through all the “ Germany “ posts. That will answer most of your questions or at least give you things to consider.
I guess I would keep the old bayonet and scabbard just because of condition to display. It’s unfortunate that it does not have matching numbers. The unmarked scabbard is likely a replacement. Still nice appearance.
The new bayonet would have been my first choice because it has matching numbers. However the fact that it has an unofficial modification on the pommel decreases its value.
The “K” on the cross guard indicates both bayonets were from the same company.
The two scabbards were most likely from different suppliers and/or at different times.
The rubber insulators are interesting, There were many different one made. The most common ones were “5998”. I am not sure what the “VV” stamp, but I do see it occasionally, perhaps a replacement? Remember insulators are easily switched or replaced.
Regards, Mike