Identify Iraqi / romanian bayonet

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Haberfeldtreiber

Identify Iraqi / romanian bayonet

Post by Haberfeldtreiber »

Hello dear kalashnikov bayonet collectors,

i am from germany and new here. glat to find this forum with many informations. Thank you!

Now i need a little help. It is difficult here in germany to get several bayonets. The market is very small and and so is my collection.
But i have the possibility to get a in my opinion iraqi 6x4. sadly in a east german 6x4 sheath and with a romanian hanger. This mixture is weird, but maybe this was possible in afghanistan conflict or yugoslav wars? I have no history for it.
Maybe you can get me some thoughts.

Greetings

Benni
Attachments
19170919.149813560.jpg
19170919.149813560.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
Mr. B.

Re: Identify Iraqi / romanian bayonet

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Benni,
Welcome to our Forum. Lots of good pictures and information here. I agree with your identification of the above item. East German AKM 6X4 Type II scabbard. Romanian AKM 6X3 type I fabric and leather belt hanger.
The bayonet appears to be an Iraqi AKM 6X4 Type II. I am unable to confirm that from the picture provided. The numbers are illegible and other markings are not visible. There should be elliptical mold marks on the bottom of the grip. (Sample below).
Unfortunately, it is as you say, a weird mixture. We call these bayonets a MixMaster. These are very common from the two Iraqi Conflicts. All of these components could be found there and brought home by various soldiers. Where, when and who mixed by is unknown. These components would be not normally be found in either Afghanistan or the Balkans. This is especially true for an Iraqi bayonet as they were not known to be exported.
Regards, Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The first picture is an enlarged one of the bayonet hilt pictured above. The numbers are blurred and unreadable. The second picture is a sample showing the mold marks on the bottom of an Iraqi Tabuk bayonet grip. If they are present on the bayonet at the top it would help confirm that it was Iraqi. Mike
0A56F4A0-0D40-44C5-BA18-16B9C42B55FD.jpeg
0A56F4A0-0D40-44C5-BA18-16B9C42B55FD.jpeg (4.02 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
3FA095B5-85C0-48AF-B040-2F79467623BB.jpeg
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

I know this bayonet, it's Iraqi. I don't like the combination.
I've never seen a DDR M.59/2 - M.74 sheath on an Iraq mix. And the Romanian green webbing hanger is also atypical for it.
Otherwise, I agree with Mike's comment.
The achieved auction price was still acceptable.

Ich kenne dieses Bajonett, es ist Irakisch. ,mir gefällt die Kombination nicht.
Eine DDR M.59/2 - M.74 Scheide habe ich noch nie bei einen Irak Mix gesehen. Und der grüne Rumänische Gurthänger ist auch Untypisch dafür .
Ansonsten Stimme ich dem Kommentar von Mike zu.
Der erzielte Auktionspreis dafür war noch Akzeptabel.