Romanian AK47 Bayonet & Scabbard

Romanian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Romanian AK47 Bayonet & Scabbard

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the AK47 bayonet that I believe to be Romanian. It appears to a Bulgarian bayonet. However, it has a brown leather belt hanger with embossed edge lines. The Bulgarian ones usually have a fabric belt loop and a leather hilt strap. I does have a similar number, but the numbers are a different style than most of the Bulgarian ones. Note the flat topped "3". I have included a comparison picture with two versions of the Romanian 6X3 Type I leather snap hook hanger. The leather appears different shades and this can be attributed to the fact that the 6X3 hangers have been issued and used, exposed to the elements. The AK47 bayonet was new in the wrapper, opened by me and has never been outside. Mike
105374BD-006C-439C-A50C-C704E8164BAC.jpeg
197E36E6-8643-43DC-9036-7153666CCAA8.jpeg
41D5AD18-BA52-40DD-AA01-16686E1CA97E.jpeg
Attachments
E444C52E-183D-40C5-9132-48FAD3BAFEE2.jpeg
Mr. B.

Re: Romanian AK47 Bayonet & Scabbard

Post by Mr. B. »

Supposedly the Romanians did not manufacture the AK47 rifles or bayonets. They imported them from other ComBloc countries. This bayonet & scabbard appears similar to those made in Bulgaria. Perhaps made for a contract to Romania? The Bulgarians did not usually make a leather hanger. This bayonet came in a shipping container with other Romanian items/bayonets directly from Romanian with import/export customs forms. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is another picture of the typical early AKM 6X3 Type I leather snap hook hangers. It shows the usual dark reddish brown leather with embossed edge lines. Mike
4AAAD3FB-6418-4677-82AF-0ED57C48C2A8.jpeg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Agree, it does seem highly probable. Thanks Mike!
Brian
- Admin -
ilian

Post by ilian »

It's sure that Romania never produce "AK" (and not "AK47" who is a journalistic term completly false), Romanian army used SKS carbine until the PM63 arrive.

Leather production could has been made in Romania and export to Bulgaria or the inverse or by an other Soviet country.
It's normal to see the same work, if you look polish PMK or KBKG Wz60 and later "6h3" ak bayonet frog the leather is not the same color but the work on it the same.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I apologize. I use the term AK47 to differentiate from the AKM and AK74. Yes, there are better, correct descriptions. However, sometimes it is better to simplify?
You are correct. There is no record of Romania ever manufacturing AK47 rifles or bayonets.
However, It is known that they did import small amounts of them to use and test. Possibly for import contracts from other ComBloc countries, (Bulgaria?). Instead Romania chose to wait and start there own production of the newer AKM Type I bayonets and scabbards.
This particular bayonet and scabbard do appear to have been made in Bulgaria. The leather belt hanger could have been used as sales samples or simply provided by or installed by the Romanians. I have no confirmed information about them other than that they arrived with other Romanian military collectors items directly from Romania. I helped open and inspect the package back in the early 1980’s. Mike