Russia 6x2 AK47 Bayonet

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Hombre

Russia 6x2 AK47 Bayonet

Post by Hombre »

This Russian 6x2 AK47 Bayonet... Was this one made for the Russian army or for the army in Finland.
What do you think? I should really appreciate any opinions at all...

Best,
Stefan
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Russia 6x2 AK47 Bayonet

Post by Mr. B. »

As usual, not enough detailed information in the provided pictures. What information that is there is conflicting and confusing. Not sure where to start. First it appears that the bayonet and scabbard are miss-matched.

Let’s start with the scabbard. It is the early style with the two band hanger brackets. It has no visible drain hole at the tip. The Finnish scabbards do not have holes. Some early Russian scabbards did not have drain holes, but most were added during ongoing inspection, repair and rework over the years. The Finnish 1st contract (early) scabbards had two tone sanded body that was then blued. The appearance was similar to the Bulgarian scabbards. The Russian scabbards had no sanding and were painted black. Both the early Finnish and Russian scabbards had a tan/khaki woven fabric belt loop. They also both had a leather hilt loop. All the Finnish ones had the loops connected bay sewing. Some Russians were also sewn, but most were connected with a single rivet. The Finnish ones used a green thread and had a different sew pattern than the Russian ones. REGARDLESS of sewn or riveted, the hilt strap CROSSES THE WRONG WAY, to be Finnish or Russian. They cross from left to right >>>. The one in the pictures crosses right to left <<<<<, Bulgarian style? Not sure what’s it is, possibly repairs or replace at some point?
The Bayonet is definitely Russian made at Izhevsk, (arsenal mark). Usually the Russian numbers are uneven and follow the curve of the pommel edge. The Finnish numbers are usually in more of straight line at an angle. These numbers could be either? Best way to tell Finnish from Russian is if there is a Russian acceptance stamp on the right side of the pommel. The Finnish contract bayonets do not have this stamp. It indicates acceptant for the Russian military.
Like I stated before, I am unable to identify either the scabbard or bayonet from the pictures provided. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the Russian military acceptance mark on the right side of the bayonet pommel.
Check out the posts and pictures on this Forum in the Finnish and Russian sections.
Mike
97DA0A51-B935-49D7-8D06-941522043846.jpeg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

First picture is of typical Russian numbering. Second picture is of typical Finnish numbering.
FC63BACD-503D-446D-A631-B9B3E0562735.jpeg
009359EE-1A46-486A-9843-82460111C8E0.jpeg
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Thank you very much, Mike for trying to answer my question even with these not enough detailed information in the provided pictures. Anyway I am grateful that you tried.
Unfortunately these were the pictures I got from the seller… If I should have the bayonet in my hand I should have tried to take better pictures of the stamps and other details on the scabbard and the bayonet itself. Well, it is what it is…
Yes, I will check out the posts and pictures on this Forum in the Finnish and Russian sections.
Hopefully I will be able to get better pictures from the seller.

Again, thank you for trying.

/Stefan