AKM Type II Bayonet

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Hombre

AKM Type II Bayonet

Post by Hombre »

A friend of mine show me this one... He bought it in Afghanistan...
Sad about the damage on the blade... Unfortunately this is the only picture I have...
If it is possible I should really appreciate opinions about this one...

Best,
Stefan
309279807_1079454476292189_5206089520349766676_n (1).jpg
Mr. B.

Re: AKM Type II Bayonet

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Stefan,
I am not sure where to start on this picture. I agree, not a very good picture, fuzzy focus and only of one side of the bayonet and scabbard. I will try to tell you what I can observe and my opinions. Let’s start with the hanger. Brown pebbled leather and a flat “D” ring. Definitely Russian. These are usually issued with a AKM 6X3 Type I or early 6X4 Type II from Izhevsk. However, hangers can be exchanged or replaced at any time. The strap appears to be Russian due to the color, fabric weave and rivet.
The scabbard has no visible identifiers. No markings, numbers or mold marks. From general appearance, AKM 6X4 Type II possibly Russian. If Russian, there would be a molded arsenal mark on the other side. Since this side is unmarked there is no issue number indicating either an unissued reserve or replacement.
The bayonet is definitely a Russian AKM 6X4 Type II from the Tula Arsenal. It is determined by the molded Tula star on the side of the handle and the white colored ink/paint stamping in the top groove of the handle. From the placement of the star it indicates it is of middle to late production.
Overall, in my opinion, (best guess?), a Russian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and scabbard with a replaced hanger. The bayonet and scabbard may be miss-matched as far as arsenal. Since there is no number on the scabbard it is also miss-matched or replaced. If both the bayonet and scabbard are un-numbered, they could be a paired reserve un-issued replacement item?
With exception of the damage to the blade edge, Nice appearing example in excellent condition.
One last opinion. The damage to the blade appears to be from wrong assembly of the blade and cutter plate when using the wire cutter. Either from an untrained or careless user.
Best, Mike
Hombre

Re: AKM Type II Bayonet

Post by Hombre »

Thank you so very much for your examination of this bayonet with only this bad picture.
My friend wanted to sell it to me but I will say, thank you but no, thank you. frankly speaking, I do not like the damage of the blade and every time I will look at the bayonet I will see that damage.
He also have this one, but I will probably say no, thank you to that too. Here is a picture and that is a bad one too...

Best,
Stefan
308966372_1465350403978649_6168370612135157452_n (1).jpg