Iraqi bayonets added to my collection

Iraqi AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

CarlosC

Iraqi bayonets added to my collection

Post by CarlosC »

I recently acquired these and thought I'd share. One is obviously a German-origin AKM Type 1 with a red "125" in Arabic on one side of the scabbard and an Iraqi Air Force roundel stamp on the other. The roundel is a stylized Arabic letter representing "Army", but I am not sure what the two stars under the triangle represent. You never know with the authenticity of these, but I've never seen one with the roundel. There are no serial numbers etched anywhere on the bayonet or scabbard in typical German style, so I'm leaning toward authentic German supplied to Iraq.
The other bayonet is an AKM Type 2, nearly identical to a Yugo except for the color and long serial number typical of the Iraqi-made versions. The matching serial number is on both the bayonet and scabbard and the font is in keeping with the other examples I have seen on this site. The hanger is the Yugo type, even down to the clasping direction, although it seems that is not really indicative of Iraqi origin or not. The grip strap uses the larger rivet that has been linked to those made in Iraq. I think the color variation between the bayonet grip and the scabbard is very interesting. Surprisingly, this one was being advertised as Russian type 2, so I got it for a good price.

Mr. B.

Re: Iraqi bayonets added to my collection

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Carlos,
Yes, the 1st one is definitely a complete, original, East German, (DDR), AKM 6X3 Type I, (M.59). Not really an Iraqi bayonet and scabbard, but purchased and used by Iraq? It is unusual to find one from Iraq with all the correct parts and pieces. Iraq imported large quantities of complete bayonet from several ComBloc countries to supplement their own production, (Hungary, E.G., Romania, Russia, etc..). Many have had parts and pieces replaced and mixed from different makers. The red numbers are somewhat typical of Iraqi use. they are what I call rack numbers. The paint is temporary at best and easily removed or added. I am not sure what the ink or paint stamp is on the cutter plate. Again temporary and easy to wear off or be stamped on.
The 2nd one is a very nice Iraqi AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and scabbard, (Tabuk). Complete with correct hanger, strap and matching numbers. I personally like this one because of the large hanger hook. One of my Tabuks is like new and came with the same hook. I believe that the Iraqi's occasionally ran out of Yugo style snap hooks and used the heavier sling hooks at times.
Nice examples and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thought you might like to see a similar East German (DDR) AKM 6X3 Type I (M.59) used by Iraq. This one was liberated in 1990-91 in Kuwait and came with certification papers. This helps validate Carlos's item. Notice this one does have the original DDR numbers even though they are non-matching.
Mike
DSCF1326.JPG
DSCF1327.JPG
DSCF1328.JPG
DSCF1331.JPG
DSCF1332.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the difference between the Iraqi hanger (left) and the Yugoslavian hanger (Right). Notice the heavy duty sling hook vs the longer thin Yugo hook with the internal serrations. Not all the Iraqi made hangers had the heavy hook, but a few evidentially did.
Mike
Iraqi vs Yugo Tabuk hangers.JPG