Questions about Romanian AKM Type I bayonet

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

rakysk

Questions about Romanian AKM Type I bayonet

Post by rakysk »

Here is my AK bayonet #2 :-)
It is a Romanian AKM Type I, or at least I think that's what it is.
Scabbard has a 2 piece hanger, but top piece is missing. Overall, both bayonet and scabbard are in pretty good shape. Matching serial numbers.
Here are my questions:
1. Stamp on cross guard - triangle with some letters in it - what is meaning of that stamp?
2. Is there any website where I could find missing top piece of the hanger?
Attachments
Stamp on crossguard  resized.jpg
IMG_20191109_173802493 resized.jpg
IMG_20191109_173819654 resized.jpg
IMG_20191109_173928374 resized.jpg
IMG_20191109_173939958 resized.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Questions about Romanian AKM Type I bayonet

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, your bayonet and scabbard are Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I. Nice condition with matching numbers indicating !968 production at the Cugir arsenal.
1. The triangular stamping on the right side of the cross guard is an arsenal proof or acceptance mark. Very nice clear marking on this one!
2. The correct top belt loop is hard to find as it is issued with the military belt, not the bayonet and scabbard. Check it out on this forum under; "Romania" - "Type I Flat Pommel Variation", scroll all the way down. I had to buy several belt assemblies to get the top belt loops for my collection.
Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

If you want one for just for display there are some currently on eBay. They are not necessary "correct" and probably not Romanian either but are functional and look right with the middle piece. Mike

GENUINE ARMY BROWN LEATHER BELT LOOP D-RING WARSAW PACT eBay item number: 171231420153
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-ARMY-B ... 1438.l2649
rakysk

Post by rakysk »

Mr. B. wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:34 pm Yes, your bayonet and scabbard are Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I. Nice condition with matching numbers indicating !968 production at the Cugir arsenal.
1. The triangular stamping on the right side of the cross guard is an arsenal proof or acceptance mark. Very nice clear marking on this one!
2. The correct top belt loop is hard to find as it is issued with the military belt, not the bayonet and scabbard. Check it out on this forum under; "Romania" - "Type I Flat Pommel Variation", scroll all the way down. I had to buy several belt assemblies to get the top belt loops for my collection.
Mike
Thanks for information. Maybe one day I'll find Romanian belt with loop, but in the meantime I'll use that loop from Ebay. Purchased one and will post picture with the bayonet when it comes. :-) Thanks for the link.
rakysk

Post by rakysk »

Strap arrived and it looks pretty good. Color is matching almost perfectly. :-)
Thanks for the tip.
Attachments
resized.jpg
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Those are actually Romanian produced items. It does indeed look good with the hanger.
Like Mr. B. I bought entire belt assemblies just to get the hangers. I have a ComBloc Dagger collection also that required buying the Romanian belt and hangers to get the belt loops and d-rings. The Romanians had a parade belt that was yellow cloth with stripes like many of the Communist countries but they didn't suspend the dagger from it. They suspended the dagger from a brown leather belt worn under their jacket.