Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards

Russian AK Bayonets
Mr. B.

Re: Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards

Post by Mr. B. » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 pm

I am re-evaluating all my Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards in an attempt to restore them to as near as possible to original issue condition. Here are some observations I have noted during the process. We can now differentiate between the scabbards made by Tula and Izhevsk by the rivets in the cutter plate stop. Has anyone else noticed that the Tula cutter plate pivot welds are almost circular with a dimple in the middle. The Izhevsk welds are more of a splash and smooth? Check out the differences in the previous pictures.

There is also another cutter plate difference not noted in the references. On the Tula scabbards the cutter plate is shorter and a slightly different shape at the tip on the earliest scabbards compared to later ones. In the picture below the earliest scabbard is on the left. The one on the right is also early production with the flat top cutter plate pivot and without an insulator stop. This would indicate a change during early production. Mike
IMG_0048.JPG

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:11 pm

I also found and documented another Russian AKM 6X3 Type I rubber insulator variation from Tula. This insulator was originally on the earliest Tula scabbard in my collection. I had removed it because it was dirty/discolored and slightly damaged. I wasn't even sure it was a Russian item because of the color. I had replaced it with a standard Russian insulator found on other reworked scabbards. The latest Russian reference book shows a longer early version of the Tula insulators for use on the early scabbards without the insulator stop. I dug out the old insulator and gave it a good cleaning. Another pleasant find. The long earliest one is shown below with my other Tula insulator variations. Mike
Scan_20191229 (2).jpg
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 pm

This is the next step in the variations of the Russian AKM 6X3 Type I scabbards. This is a result of some new information that has become available. For me personally, perhaps a step too far. It seems there are differences in the interior tension springs. The line drawing below show the different variations in the Russian reference book. Illustration# 10 shows the 1st (earliest) design. These have a full width folded lip at the top and a square opening on the back side. When seen from the front the fold is on the left and the gap is on the right. There are also differences in the metal finish, blued, phosphate, and paint.

I am not sure if I really care or not, but being curious I dissembled all my Russian 6X3 scabbards. Found a good mix of all the variations for the pictures below. Not sure what I will do with them. Maybe try to assemble them in scabbards from early to late? Below are a couple of the 1st (early) ones that I found. Mike
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG (46.67 KiB) Viewed 148 times
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
Last edited by Mr. B. on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:55 pm

The next step in the drawings is illustration# 11. These are the same as first ones except the folded lip at the top has been shortened, (cut away), on both ends. They can be found with and without the square openings on that back like the early version. This could be a separate transition or a result of reworking the first version by shortening the top lip by cutting or grinding. Again these have the fold on the left and the gap on the right. They can also be found with different finishes.

The last version, (latest), is found in Illustrations# 12 & 13. I have grouped these together as they are virtually the same only a mirrored version. There is a good possibility this was done to make efficient used of the sheet metal they were stamped from, Like using a cookie cutter. They install and function the same in the scabbard. They both have the shortened lip on the top. The # 12 has a long main fold on the right side and a short small fold on the left leaving the gap toward the front. The folds and gap on the # 13 are reversed.

Pictured below are the # 11 and # 12 versions. The last picture is of the three main variations for comparisons. Mike
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:18 pm

As a side note, there are also minor differences in the scabbard tension springs on the Russian AK47, 6X4 and 6X5 bayonets and scabbards. They are very minor differences and not visible without removal. Not something I am interested in pursuing unless I would be restoring or repairing a bayonet and scabbard to correct original condition. Mike

RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:22 am

Mike,
WOW, now that is really an in depth identification, love it, :clap:

However, I am no where near ready to be going into that much detail when 'inspecting' my bayonets.

Stay safe
Richard

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Richard,
I agree, as I said, to much detail for me too. Just a matter of coincidence and curiosity. Confirming the new information that became available while inspecting my collection of reworked Russian 6X3 bayonets and scabbards for other reasons. I have no intention to include variations in scabbard tension springs in my collecting. However there are other enthusiasts that are more detail oriented. Some even detail small proof and inspection marks and the mold numbers and stamping markings, etc.. To each, his own.
Cheers, Mike

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:53 am

ilian wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:20 pm
Mr. B. wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:33 pm
Here is a better picture of the one with both arsenal marks.
For me it's not the izhevsk mark next to the Tula star, i alrealy saw tis kind of marks, it's a "T" on a triangle.

Regards.
I have been re-inspecting all my reworked Russian AKM 6X3 bayonets and scabbards. Sorting and combining the bayonets and scabbards by manufacture, Tula or Izhevsk. Then restoring them to display from early to late versions. Adding period correct insulators, straps and hangers. Removing and touching up the paint on the hand etched forced matching numbers on the metal surfaces, (that no longer matched).

This particular bayonet is one of my oldest Tula bayonets, Star and round hook on crossguard. There has been previous discussion about both the Triangle and Star on the crossguard. I removed the paint and this is what I found. The triangle contains a letter "k" and is most likely a proof mark. By looking closely a flattened diamond acceptance mark can also be seen to the right of the round rivet. The flat bottom grip panels appear to be original. Whether they are original or replacements, they are on an early Tula bayonet and do not agree with the latest reference book. The reference states the flat bottom grips were used on only new production Izhevsk type 2 bayonets with the squared crossguard hooks and the triangle on the flat behind the muzzle ring. To me either the information is incorrect or they were used for rework/replacement at some point. Mike
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG

ilian

Post by ilian » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:11 pm

For me these "square" grips are for rewoked bayonet certainly made by a subcontractor.

But i have no proofs for the moment ...

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:54 pm

I am in agreement with you. I base my opinion on the fact that I have personally seen the "square" grips on both early and late versions from both Tula and Izhevsk. All of them have been on reworked bayonets and were probably replacements. Some have still been in like new condition. Others, like mine above have seen lots of use since they were installed.
It is possible that Izhevsk and maybe Tula installed these grips on new production at some time. This would explain why some references have included them as original production. I would still identify them as from a subcontractor like the items with the "window" markings. Made for replacement / reconditioning items.
Does anyone own or seen a new, as issued, Russian 6X3 bayonet with ""square" grips? Mike