East German (DDR) AKM 6X4 Type II Serial Numbers

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

East German (DDR) AKM 6X4 Type II Serial Numbers

Post by Mr. B. »

In Martin Ivie's book it was established that the orange grip bayonets were the first AKM 6X4 Type II produced due to the serial number linage encountered. From my experience I would theorize that the production of the orange griped 6X4s may have started at serial number 200,000. I have one with 209,094. At some point between 225,968 and 240,847 they switched over to a black grip 6X4. The reason for this change is unknown, but from what I have observed this change was not just a color change, but may have been a change of the material used for the grip. The orange grip has different mold marks and a more uniform smooth gloss finish whereas the black ones tend to have a more uneven matt finish in places.

It would be interesting to narrowing down the earliest starting number and highest number/date for the orange ones. Also along this line, the lowest and highest serial number for the black ones. My highest number is 448,694. Using the numbers I have this would indicate 26,000 plus orange ones produced and over 208,000 black ones. Mike
IMG_0130.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: East German (DDR) AKM 6X4 Type II Serial Numbers

Post by Mr. B. »

Did anyone notice the difference in the grip mold mark in the above picture. The orange gripped DDR 6X4 bayonets have no mold marks on either side of the grips. The black ones all seem to have a small circular mold mark on either the left or right side of the grip. There seems to be no consistency as to which side it is on. I compared eight different ones from my collection and found four with the mark on the left side and four on the right. These eight bayonets include two with Bulgarian markings and one G36 conversion. Also note the different finish grinding marks on the blades. Most are horizontal, (from crossguard to point), others are vertical and one is cross hatched. Mike
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

The orange DDR M.74 Bayonets were made in the Period 1980-1984, parallel to the GDR M.59 / 2 .

The were issued only from 1985 with the introduction of the black DDR M.74 Bayonets to the Troop.
The Handle of the orange Bayonet is made of thermally pressed Multi-component Plastic.
The Handle of the black Bayonet made of Fiber-reinforced Polyamide.
Blades were installed by various Suppliers.
Production Quantity Monthly +/- 4500 Pieces
The Numbering is not made at the same time as the Production.
Attachments
7. DDR M.74 schwarz Nummerierungen - Kopie.JPG
6. Vergleiche - Kopie.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the info.
Any particular reason for both colours being produced and issued?

Brian
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Excellent pictures and information from mill_speer! Thank you! It confirmed the difference in the grip materials as I suspected. I also liked seeing the change in the shape of the catch in the pommel on the orange ones. I had missed that! Mike
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

The bayonet no. 4 was manufactured in the period until 1984 and numbered from 1985.
Look at the number on the top of Black No.4

@Brian, Yes that is.
I write about it later.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I now understand about the numbers not corresponding with production. However the pictures above bring up a couple more questions.

1. What is the significance of the number stamped on the crossguard?, (yellow circle). I have seen this on orange ones issued as fighting knives by the FRG. Do these stamped numbers come from the DDR or FRG?

2. The details of the pommels look different to me. (green circle). The shape and dimension of the pommel where it meets the grip seem a little longer and more squared at the corners. Also the diameter of the grip retaining screw seems smaller.

I am not sure if these differences are a result of my vision, the angle of the pictures or maybe just the adhesive on the bayonet. Mike
123123124_LI.jpg
123123124_LI.jpg (896.74 KiB) Viewed 20953 times
DDR Orange with stamped numbers.jpg
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Hello

1.) The stamped numbers on the crossguard are East German,
not officially, Internal tolerated.
This was done mostly at the border troops.
The border troops have the bayonets, towed daily.
The BRD did not particularly care about the bayonets, they were an inherited evil.

Just like the licensing and production systems of the DDR Wieger STG 940. Caliber 5.56
There were millions of national wealth destroyed, unbelievable!

2.) The Pommel (green circle) is all okay, the screw has the same size, it
There is a lot of glue in the joints. Not typical!
In the middle oranges DDR M.74 I see white glue-sticks of a label.

Best Regards
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, the middle one has white glue-sticks of a label. Refer to my posts for DDR bayonets inherited for use as fighting knives by the FRG. On this same thread under: Federal Republic of Germany Combat Knives!? Notice the group that had the glue stick residue also had some with FRG labels and stamped numbers on the crossguard. At least one also had the fabric hanger. That's why I asked about the stamped numbers being FRG. Mike
kstim

Post by kstim »

What is a reasonable price to pay for an orange grip DDR?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Personal opinion, about $75 max.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I believe they are getting scarcer in our neck of the woods. Just an average one is worth $75. or more. A nice matching one could bring $100. to $125.. One recently sold online for $185. plus shipping. There are small variations such as numbering and color that may demand higher prices for particular collectors. Mike
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

The last 4 DDR Orange handle bayonets I sold all went for between $150 and $180, but that was during the time when all of the DDR AK74 kits came into the US, which inflated the prices. I agree with Mr. B, in the current market a nice, near mint, matching bayonet for $125 range.

MDI