Romanian AKM Type I picture

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Romanian AKM Type I picture

Post by Mr. B. »

I found this picture while doing some research. It's a picture of a fairly recent Romanian armed forces exercise. Note the the soldier in the middle is wearing an AKM Type I bayonet and scabbard mounted inverted in a newer style of Load Bearing Equipment, (LBE). The hanger is similar in function to the old leather wrap around hanger and secures the scabbard over the rubber insulator. However it is inverted and appears to be part of the LBE and made of web fabric and has snap fasteners.
Since the weapons pictured in this series are the newer Romanian AK74 rifles I would have thought that the bayonet and harness would be the newer AK74 Type II bayonets with the Type II scabbards. Mike
Current Romy bayonet.jpg
Current Romy bayonet (2).jpg
Current Romy bayonet (2).jpg (49.8 KiB) Viewed 10431 times
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Romanian AKM Type I picture

Post by Brian »

Good find.
Yes, my guys in Romania still say that they are using the Type 1 bayonet. Not sure why. Seems Paras get the transitional one sometimes. But mostly they are still using this one.
Brian
- Admin -
pwcosol

Post by pwcosol »

Hard to tell if that suspension is permanently part of the vest or not. If the latter then expect we will see one of these turn up eventually.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I believe it is two separately permanently attached parts. In the top picture check out the soldier on the right. He has a bag attached through the two button loop for the scabbard. Also if you look closely at the soldier just to the left of center and you can see the side view of the same bayonet mounting as the one featured. All three rigs look the same. Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

It's a part of the vest, look at the guy on the right, he attaches his helmet to the "frog".
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Agree with Ilian.
Brian
- Admin -