AKM Wire Cutter Plate Variations

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

AKM Wire Cutter Plate Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

After following the previous topic/post here I would like to present an observation I made there. The previous topic concerned the Izhevsk logo variations. I enjoyed seeing and comparing all the submitted pictures. While studying Furtium's pictures I noticed something else unusual. In one of his first two pictures, I noticed that the cutter plate pivot was staked in place and appeared not welded. I had always been under the impression that these were routinely threaded and then welded in position. The exception is that some of the latest black grip Polish scabbards are only staked.

I examined all the ones I have and came up following observations. There is a difference between the Tula and Izhevsk production. The ones from Tula have a very obvious raised, rounded weld. The Izzy ones have more of a light splash of weldment. In some cases, the Izzy ones appear to be either unwelded or ground smooth revealing the stake marks.

Has anyone else observed this? Does anyone have any information or opinions about the welds or lack of them? Yes, this is a pretty minor thing, but that is what this Forum is about.

Below is Christopher's picture. Mike
Russian AKM Type II scabbard with staked pivot (3).jpg