Bayonet Romania

Romanian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Hombre

Bayonet Romania

Post by Hombre »

Got a parcel today with two bayonets from Romania... Here is one of them...

Best,
Stefan
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Dragur2791

Re: Bayonet Romania

Post by Dragur2791 »

Nice low digit!! Good find!
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Thank you, Dragur2791!
Why do you think this one only have two numbers and no letters... I mean, all the others I have seen have two or four letters together with four numbers... The guy I bought it from have one more in his own collection and that one look exactly the same as this one but the number was 24... I think it is interesting...
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard are a bit of a mystery to me. From all appearances they seem to be typical standard Romanian production. Complete with a correct wrist strap and late style fabric and leather hanger. They also have matching numbers which is desirable to most collectors. However, these 2 digit numbers are very unusual!
Romanian AKM rifle production started in 1963 with the Model 63. The rifles were serial numbered with the date, (year), plus two letters, (AA - ZZ), and four numbers, (0001 - 9999). Production of the AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards started at the same time with numbers matched to the rifles. In 1980 the serial number changed to three letters by adding an "S" prefix. This changes again in 1987 to an "A" prefix.
The only exception to this was that the PSL, (sniper), rifles had only one letter and four numbers. They were issued with matching numbered accessories including the bayonets and scabbards.
I have heard of one other bayonet and scabbard with only 2 numbers and have seen a picture of one with only three numbers, (Unfortunately I can't find it and will keep looking). Hopefully someone else will have information or opinions about them. Perhaps a test / sample production, overrun or reserve production, or possibly for a small separate contract?
Mike
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Mike, thank you so very much for the information. I really appreciate it.
As a new collector in this field it is very valuable. The fun thing is that from the beginning this with AKM bayonets was just a side field so to speak but the more I learn the more interesting it is. Who knows in the end I maybe will only collect AKM bayonets and selling the rest of my blades. :)