Romy Type 1 with a mortise stamp?

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

CarlosC

Romy Type 1 with a mortise stamp?

Post by CarlosC »

Greetings. I found this recently and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. It appears to be a Romanian AKM Type 1 with an arrow-in-triangle stamp on the mortise.

Mr. B.

Re: Romy Type 1 with a mortise stamp?

Post by Mr. B. »

This is a common Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard. The bayonet has been repaired / reworked. The original grip panels have been replaced with ones made for replacement. They are made of a different material and coloring than the original ones. A more smooth plastic type material and reddish / orange colors. The numbers and marking have been removed from the sides of the crossguard and the finish touched up. The arrow in triangle on the flat behind the muzzle ring is the mark of the Romanian Cugir Arsenal that is also found on the Kalashnikov rifles they produce. This mark is often missing or illegible. The scabbard is correct and also possibly repaired / reworked with the original serial number. The rubber insulator and late style hanger are also original replacements.
In my opinion this is a reconditioned bayonet paired with good replacement scabbard that has not been re-issued /re-numbered. A decent example with a nice clear arsenal mark. Mike