Russian bayonet help…

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Dioramaman

Russian bayonet help…

Post by Dioramaman »

I acquired this bayonet awhile ago from a gentleman in the Ukraine who bought it from an old ex red army Russian soldier

Can anyone help with possible history on this bayonet as I have not seen one like it and was curious if it was a special one or possibly made for an officer or show

Hoping someone could help with information on this!
Thanks so much
Todd
Attachments
67C2FDEC-189B-49BC-85E7-C12A59AEDD05.jpeg
4ACF12C5-E251-40F1-8ACB-129A44C7661C.jpeg
C485DF6B-48F7-40F1-835C-AA4FAF9890BB.jpeg
Mr. B.

Re: Russian bayonet help…

Post by Mr. B. »

Sorry Todd, but this bayonet and scabbard are about as made up as the story that goes with it. The bayonet hilt could be an early Russian AKM 6X3 Type I. Early production because of the rounded crossguard hook. The original numbers / markings on the crossguard have been ground / sanded off. The blade is pure fantasy. No sawteeth! The funky dark finish? Stamped numbers on the ricasso(?) and weird lasered(?) symbols. The star could represent the Tula arsenal!? The hammer and sickle are a communist symbol not found on AK bayonets. The overall profile and dimensions of the blade are all wrong. The scabbard appears to be a typical Russian AKM 6X4 Type II with the Izhevsk arsenal mark and no issue numbers, (replacement?). The very used and worn hanger and strap could also be Russian.
In my opinion, this piece is a common reworked surplus bayonet and scabbard that someone has played with to try to increase its value or as a conversation piece. Either way, a fantasy item, not a presentation, commemorative or collectable item. Mike
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Nice Homework,
unfortunately too much of a good thing.
Without these decorations on the blade, I would have gotten into rowing a lot.
My verdict, the blade of this bayonet was cut off and a (Polish?) bayonet blade was welded on.
Very good welding work as I can see in the pictures.
Another note, Soviet soldiers never sold or stole any military equipment! If it did happen, they were punished unimaginably hard!
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

It does appear to be a de-militarized Russian AKM 6X3 Type I hilt that has had the blade cut off. I am not sure what blade was welded on. It could be blade from a Polish AKM 6H3 Type I bayonet. However, under closer examination, I believe that an incomplete blade blank was used. Most likely a rejected one. The top edge of the blade was never machined. The sawteeth were never machined, the top edge is not straight, and the wire cutter edge is missing as well. The wire cutter pivot hole in the blade is incorrectly machined and not completed. Note the square corners and excess material on two corners. This error is probably why this blade was rejected and not completed.
The picture below shows the discolored area, (between the yellow arrows), where the weld was made. This weld discolors the blade explaining why the dark finish was added as a cover-up. Part of the incompletely removed original markings on the crossguard are visible, (red circle). The round crossguard hook, (blue circle), indicates early production that would not have been originally issued with the Type II scabbard.
Mike
Mystery transitional 6X3 fake 2 (2)_LI.jpg
Mystery transitional 6X3 fake 2 (2)_LI.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 675 times
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is a similar demilitarized Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet with a Type II scabbard currently listed on Ebay by a seller from the Ukraine. It is my opinion that this is what the bayonet and scabbard above actually started as. It would be very possible that the same dealer would have access to and sell the cut off blades or reject blade blanks from the same scrap containers. They make interesting displays and are a source of replacement parts.
Mike
Russian AKM 6X3 with Type II scabbard DEMIL 2-11-22 1.jpg