Russian AKM Type I

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Hombre

Russian AKM Type I

Post by Hombre »

Is this what I think... A Russian AKM Type I bayonet?
Should be grateful for opinions on this one...

Best,
Stefan
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Dragur2791

Re: Russian AKM Type I

Post by Dragur2791 »

Hungarian army type 1 issued. Numbered matching. These have the beautiful marbled grip.
A fine exampled you got there !!
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Sorry Stefan, It's not Russian! It is an Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard. However, it is an early version as made, issued and used in Hungary. It can be identified as such by the following clues. Marbled grip panels, style and location of serial numbers and the machined cutter plate on the scabbard. The latter, more common Hungarian bayonets and scabbards have solid brown grip panels, no numbers and a stamped cutter plate.
The later more common versions were mostly made for contract and export sales and not for internal use. Hungary never made or used their own AK47 6X2 bayonets and also never made or issued there own AKM 6X4 or newer bayonets. In my opinion the are either still using or holding in reserve the 6X3 bayonets like this one. They are somewhat rare to find.
Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I forgot to note that it is missing the top belt loop part of the hanger. This is common with most Hungarian bayonets. The belt loops are issued and inventoried as part of the belt / field gear. The lower part of the hanger with the two snap hooks is considered part of the bayonet and scabbard. The top belt loop is unique with two rivets and is also some what rare. At one time in the past someone had a bunch of theme for sale, but have not seen them recently.
Both the bayonet and the hangers are included in posts under; "Hungary".
Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

PS: Stefan this is the 2nd time you posted one of these Hungarian bayonets. The first time was in this section on 25 July 2021. They are almost identical except for the numbers and the 1st one had the top belt loop. Not sure where you are finding these rare bayonets, but you seem to have an excellent source! Nice find!
Mike
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Do I feel embarrassed... Yes, I do...
As you wrote Mike, this is the 2nd time I am posting one of these Hungarian bayonets and I should have known that it can´t be a Russian AKM... Gosh!! I do knot know where my brain was... :gloom:

Anyway, thank you very much for your help, guys... I really appreciate it!
This one maybe can be in a trade or something like that...

Best,
Stefan