Russian AK47 bayonet with Bulgarian number stamp?

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

CarlosC

Russian AK47 bayonet with Bulgarian number stamp?

Post by CarlosC »

It is my understanding the Russian, Bulgarian and Finnish AK47 bayonets are closely related and the only way to tell them apart is by specific differences. Russians have the Izhevsk stamp on the cross guard with the serial numbers running along the pommel curve. The Finnish versions are actually Russian made, so they have the Izhevsk stamp, but the serial numbers are lined up and at a 45 degree angle on the pommel. Finally, the Bulgarians will not have the Izhevsk stamp, and the serial number is perpendicular to the grip. So, here's one I found on eBay a few weeks ago with the Russian Izhevsk stamp, but the numbers placed perpendicular to the grip, like the Bulgarians. Unfortunately, I was outbid and didn't get it and this is the only picture I saved, but the Russian stamp is obvious, as is the serial number placement.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?
NICO56

Re: Russian AK47 bayonet with Bulgarian number stamp?

Post by NICO56 »

Your scabbard is definitely on a Bulgarian model, bi-color and direction of retention for the bayonet reversed compared to the Russian model. As for the bayonet, I read, but I don't know where, that the first Bulgarian models were made in Russia but with a serial number engraved by the user country. But I could be wrong.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I would consider this one as a Bulgarian AK47 bayonet and scabbard. Russia designed and made the first AK47 bayonets and scabbards. Later they did issue a license to Bulgaria to manufacture them. Some of the early Bulgarian ones may have been made in Russia or supplied as parts provided to Bulgaria. The Izhevsk mark on the crossguard means that at least the crossguard was made in Russia. The style and placement of the numbers are Bulgarian. To be Russian made, issued, and used there would be a Russian military acceptance mark on the right side of the pommel. This is a small flattened diamond containing the letters "CB". This mark is missing on the bayonets/parts supplied to other countries that were licensed to make/issue them, (Finland, Bulgaria, East Germany, Poland, etc.) The scabbard appears to Bulgarian as well, but it is a later style with the one piece stamped hanger bracket. The hanger is not visible, but the hilt strap crosses/points left Bulgy style. A late style Russian scabbard would have a drain hole in the front, Bulgy drain hole is in the back.
These Bulgarian bayonets with the Russian arsenal mark are somewhat rare to find. They are very early production and to be correct they should be with an early scabbard with the two band hanger brackets. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

You might want to check out this topic on this Forum: "Bulgarian AK47 Bayonet & Scabbard Variations" under the Bulgaria header. Mike
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

I contacted a seller with whom I have done business before and who had originally posted the bayonet above. I asked if he had another one and he did, so I bought it. It's in the 2000 serial number range.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Not a bad bayonet to have if you are interested in marking variations like I am. I display one in my collection, except mine is in an early 2 band scabbard. The numbers are meaningless for dating, (early vs late). I believe the Bulgarians used the same numbering system as the Russians. When made they are matched with a rifle and share the same last 4 digits. The 4 digit numbers are constantly revolving and being reused. It may or may not indicate early by it's self, but the bayonets with the Izhevsk mark are believed to be early production. Mike