Sturm Export Type I

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

steelmonkey

Sturm Export Type I

Post by steelmonkey »

I picked up this nice Sturm exported Type I a couple of weeks ago at a Military Surplus store in Western Illinois. Owner had it for $50, he agreed to $40 and it came with me.

I still have a few old AKM 30rd magazines from Sturm Exporters from way back, as typical with East German manufacturing, high quality.

steelmonkey

Re: Sturm Export Type I

Post by steelmonkey »

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Very nice. Do the numbers match? The number on the scabbard should be on the front side near the top under the rubber insulator. Some of the early imports were import marked on the blade ricasso. Mike
thumbnail_20200330_210008.jpg
thumbnail_20200330_205326.jpg
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

It does, never thought to look there. Like I said before, I learn something new on this site every time I log on. :hail:

RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

Curt,
That is the first DDR Modell 59 I have seen with the blade marked 'Mfg Germany', despite being an issued bayonet, as the serial numbers show.
Nice addition to the collection, and I'll double check mine when I get a chance, I have two Modell 59's, to see if their blades are marked 'Mfg Germany', and I have missed it, but I am sure they are not.
Stay safe
Richard
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Richard,
The pictures with the red background are of one of my bayonets, not Curt's. I just grabbed one off the wall to illustrate the matching numbers. I noticed the blade marking at that time. Not sure if it was because of different import requirements at different times or perhaps different exporters/importers. Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

nothing more than an US imported Modell 59/1 bayonet if i understand correctly?
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

Mr. B. wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:30 am Richard,
The pictures with the red background are of one of my bayonets, not Curt's. I just grabbed one off the wall to illustrate the matching numbers. I noticed the blade marking at that time. Not sure if it was because of different import requirements at different times or perhaps different exporters/importers. Mike
Indeed, my apologise for the oversight, and Ilian thank you for that information, that'll be why we don't have the mark on the Modell 59/1's sold in Europe.

Stay safe
Richard
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

That is the only East German I have that is marked on the blade. The majority of the ones in my collection had no import markings. A few had a variety of adhesive stickers like the one above. Others came in cartons and sealed bags with the original East German inventory labels. Mike
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Looking great now Mr. B, thanks again!

RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

Mr. B. wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:59 pm That is the only East German I have that is marked on the blade. The majority of the ones in my collection had no import markings. A few had a variety of adhesive stickers like the one above. Others came in cartons and sealed bags with the original East German inventory labels. Mike
Cheers Mike,

I am off line now for at least 11 days, as I have surgery tomorrow and then recovery in hospital of at least 10 days.

Stay safe
Richard