Chinese Type 56 Folding Spike Bayonet

AK Bayonets from China

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Chinese Type 56 Folding Spike Bayonet

Post by Mr. B. »

I have eight different versions of the AK47 folding spike bayonet if anyone is interested. M.
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2400.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Chinese Type 56 Folding Spike Bayonet

Post by Brian »

Love to see the differences.
I've been importing the rifles from China, and getting any bayonets that customers don't want after sporterizing them, but have only seen about 3 variations so far, and nothing major.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here's a couple of group pictures. More details and close-ups to follow. Two main differences are at the top of each picture. One method of attachment is integral with the front sight base. The other is an accessory clamp-on style with a muzzle ring. Note that the blade and hilt assemblies are not interchangeable between these two styles. M.
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

All the bayonets that attach to the front sight base are basically the same. The next main difference is the bayonet point. They are all screw driver points, but some are aligned horizontal and others vertical. Another difference is in the method of attachment. Some use a countersunk and threaded machine screw and are removable, others use a double headed rivet and are permanently attached, (rivets are also found of different diameter). Note, some of the latter style have been altered to be removable to meet our import requirements. More on these and machining and finish variations to follow. M.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are three samples of Type 56 spike bayonets with cast hilts. By looking close you can see a slight ridge where the mold halves meet. Two are smooth with only light exterior machining. One has a browned finish. One is unusual as it has little or no finish, but it is numbered on the top hilt flat. The third one is a crude casting and has almost no exterior machining or finish, except for the ends. The interior is fully machined and functions normally. Note the thin side walls of this casting compared to the others. M.
IMG_2507.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are three fully machined and finished Type 56 spike bayonets. Two are nicely blued and the other has a rusty brown colored finish. One has a straight sided hilt at the back. A second one has a single anti-rattle protrusion on the lower rear of the hilt. The last one has two anti-rattle protrusions at the back end of the hilt. One on the top side and one on the bottom. These bumps or ridges put pressure on the rifle's cleaning rod to keep it from being loose. The single bump only works when the bayonet is retracted. The double bump works both extended and retracted. M.
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2518.JPG
IMG_2519.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the last post in this series. These pictures show the different point styles, horizontal vs vertical. The different mounting holes, the "J" hole is for the easy disconnect versions. The last picture shows some of the different finger groove styles, different ones have 3 to 5 machined grooves. There is at least one version of this bayonet that I am missing and would like acquire. It's a detachable, "J" hook style but with a pin or set screw in a slot on the hilt keeping the assemble together when removed from the rifle. If anyone has information on the availability of one, I would appreciate hearing from you. M.
IMG_2510.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I acquired a different version of the Chinese Type 56 folding spike bayonet today. It is a commercial version designed to conform with USA import requirements. The bayonet is made to be easily detachable from the rifles and hooks to a rivet/pivot on a bracket attached to the front sight base. This version is what I refer to as the pinned version as a large pin holds the sliding hilt and spring to the blade shaft when the bayonet is removed from the rifle. This pinned version is one of three basic versions of the commercial removable bayonets. Mike
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Note: the pin in the above pictures is a friction fit. The hilt spring on this bayonet is stiffer than the other Type 56 bayonets to keep the pin from falling out. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some comparison pictures of 3 versions of the Chinese Type 56 bayonet blades. The top one is a commercial pinned version. The middle one is a standard military type. The bottom one is from a add-on/clamp on version. The clamp on blade is usually permanently riveted to the mounting assemble and the sliding hilt has a muzzle ring. Mike
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I had this Chinese Type 56 AK47 out for some other research and thought I'd post a couple of better pictures of the Add-on folding spike bayonet. Mike
Attachments
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

For those who may be interested in details here is additional information on mounting the spike bayonets. The early Type 56 AK rifles with the forged receivers usually used a machine screw as the pivot for the bayonet. This carried over from the Type 56 SKS rifles. These screws were staked in place, but are removable. The later rifles with the stamped receivers seem to have used either a flat headed rivet or headless rivet with concave ends. The rivets are more of a permanent installation. Mike
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
ilian

Post by ilian »

I need the albanian variant :/
Attachments
IMG_0264 - Copie.JPG
IMG_0263 - Copie.JPG
IMG_0262 - Copie.JPG
IMG_0261 - Copie.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Albanian? I need a little help here. What do I look for that makes one Albanian? What key features do you look for? Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I have seen the Albanian manufactured SKS spike bayonets with the black finish. They are slightly different in shape and dimensions than the more standard dull hard chrome ones from other ComBloc countries. Did they actually make ones for the AKs as well? Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

Albania had made some cheap copy of the chinese type 56 with this kind of folding bayonet.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The Chinese Type 56 designation gets confusing as they made both the SKS and AK versions as Type 56. To my knowledge the Albanians made their own copies of the Type 56 SKS version with a slightly different bayonet. They well have made copies of the Type 56 AK also. If so I would like to see references and/or pictures of one, especially if the bayonet assemblies are different from the Chinese version. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the 12th and hopefully last Chinese Type 56 folding spike bayonet in my collection. With these 12 I believe I have representation of all the different variation available. This last one is a commercial model made for export and to conform with USA regulations requiring that the bayonets be detachable from the rifles with out tools. Some of the first of these detachable bayonets were modified or manufactured with a hook at the end of the hilt instead of a hole. This met regulations but was awkward to mount and dismount as the blade, hilt and spring separated. Later versions were made with a longer hook and a large through pin to hold the bayonet assemble together when removed. Others like this one were made or modified by drilling the hilt and installing a small threaded set screw that fit into one of the lightening grooves on the bayonet holding the assembly together when removed. Pictured below are a standard military version, a commercial one with a long hook and a commercial one with a short hook. Also notice in the pictures the differences in the lengths and shapes of the blood grooves and lightening cuts on the blades. Mike
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

More pictures for comparison. Does anyone know of any other variations of this bayonet ? Mike
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike,

The Albanians did indeed make a stamped receiver version of the Type 56 AK. The ones I have seen that are full Albanian production and not just assembled from Chinese and Albanian parts mixture, do not have the mag well dimples. I have not seen one in person to look closely at the bayonet, but I do know there were at least 2 kits imported to the US.

Martin