East German AK47 & AKM Bayonet Trainer

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

East German AK47 & AKM Bayonet Trainer

Post by Mr. B. »

This is an East Germany, (DDR), training device for bayonet instruction. It is designed to resemble an AK47 or AKM rifle with a mounted bayonet. It has a wood stock and a solid metal barrel with spring loaded, retractable, rubber tipped point. It has been weighted to approximate the weight and balance of a real weapon. It is somewhat longer than a AK47 or AKM as it was originally designed for use in SKS training. As originally made It is the length and shape of an SKS with an extended bayonet. It doesn't take much imagination to visualize it without the tacked on wooden extended magazine. The wood magazine has been added to make it resemble an AK and is attached and positioned using a wood dowel, glue and a couple wood screws. Pictures show it with a DDR AKM clone for comparison and stripped down to components. A couple notes; The end cap on the plunger and spring assemble is heavily crimped in place and is not serviceable. The rubber tube fore grip is also found in black. The last picture shows the magazine attachment and the recess for the cast metal weight.

Mike
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: East German AK47 & AKM Bayonet Trainer

Post by Mr. B. »

Additional pictures of the DDR bayonet trainer. This shows the method of attaching the bayonet assembly to the barrel stub and the crimped on plunger and cap end. I have left this item "as is" with no attempt to clean or restore it. It represents several decades of use and has been in the hands of hundreds, possibly, thousands of recruits during basic training in the DDR.

Mike
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is an update to the original post. I recently acquired a different variation of this training bayonet. On the first version the rubber hand grip was orange with fine grooves and the main cylinder was painted black. The rubber hand grip on the second version is black with larger grooves and the cylinder has a phosphate finish. I am not sure why the differences, maybe just random or perhaps an early vs late change?
M.
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
kstim

Post by kstim »

Mr B, does your example have a model number on top of the barrel? Mine is marked "model 4853"

Tim
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The one I have has no visible markings. I have seen several others, but don't remember seeing any with markings. Maybe someone else has a marked one? Mike
kstim

Post by kstim »

Thanks Mike, this stuff is always interesting. Hopefully someone out there has a marked one. No doubt this is all original, but very little reference info on these. Mine has the black grip on the bayonet

Tim
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

In my collection have one of these, which I bought from Germany, perhaps 15 years ago, which was brand new in its wrapper.

A colleague has just sent me a link for another version for sale on eBay at the moment, which has a metal butt plate, seller based in Germany.

No connection to myself, and I am not interested in buying another one at the moment, so putting it out there to the community.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVA-DDR-Fert ... fresh=true

Stay safe
Richard
furtium

Post by furtium »

These are available from What A Country for $39.95 as well:

https://whatacountry.com/ak-47-bayonet- ... block.aspx
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Lot's of good information! Note that the one from Germany has a different front sling mount, metal but plate and a model number stamped on the barrel. Mike
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

furtium wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 am These are available from What A Country for $39.95 as well:

https://whatacountry.com/ak-47-bayonet- ... block.aspx
That is a very good price for anyone wanting to add one to their collection; the one in the pictures on the 'What a Country' ad, looks like the one I already have.

Richard
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are three pictures showing some different variations that can be found. This one has marking on the barrel, inset sling attachments and a heavy metal butt plate. I do not know when or why the changes were made. Early vs late or just different production or supplier? Mr. B
DDR Trainer with metal butt plate. 2jpg.jpg
DDR Trainer with metal butt plate. 1jpg.jpg
DDR Trainer with metal butt plate.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Better picture of markings, Model number. Mr. B.
DDR AK47 AKM Bayonet Training 1.jpg
DDR AK47 AKM Bayonet Training 1.jpg (4.85 KiB) Viewed 13083 times