Romanian made egyptian AKM type II bayonet?

Egyptian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

ilian

Romanian made egyptian AKM type II bayonet?

Post by ilian »

Hi,

I found this one some days ago, what are your feelings about this piece?

:-)
Attachments
IMG_3442 - Copie.JPG
IMG_3441 - Copie.JPG
IMG_3439 - Copie.JPG
IMG_3436 - Copie.JPG
ilian

Re: Romanian made egyptian AKM type II bayonet?

Post by ilian »

To really see the color of the grip i took some bad pics sorry about that...
Attachments
IMG_3445 - Copie.JPG
IMG_3444 - Copie.JPG
IMG_3443 - Copie.JPG
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Whatever it is, it is very nice!
Ilian what made you think it was Romanian made?
Any specifik details? Cugir Arrow in triangle?
ilian

Post by ilian »

The scabbard is the same as a romanian one, and the finish of the blade is very similar to romanians bayonets.

i will make some pics later to compare ;)
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Very nice example. For me, bayonets and scabbards similar to these remain a mystery. I have catalogue them as "Iraqi" due to the fact that most of them came from that area during either the 1st or 2nd Gulf War. (refer to the Iraq section) No one has produced any proof of where the were made, assembled or issued. At some point someone coined the name "Mixmaster Bayonets". I find this very fitting as they resemble bayonets and scabbards from a variety of countries. I believe that most were made up from parts acquired from various sources and countries. Blades without saw teeth from Poland or are they from some other country but just made without them? Blades that have the profile and grind marks from Romania? Crossguards with different machining and hook shapes? Different shapes, colors, materials and marks of the molded grips. With and without the Egyptian gunky glue. Profiles and machining on the pommels also varies. Scabbards with both stamped and machined cutter plates. Some having the distinct weld on the pivot that is unique to Romania. Others having scabbard bodies that appear to be unique to Egyptian Mfg. There are also a variety of metal finishes, blued, painted, etc.. They also seem to have a variety of different accessories, straps, hangers, insulators, but these could have been added / exchanged at any point. Which country manufactured the individual parts? In which country were the assembled? Which country originally issued them? Were they sold or provided to other countries? Who were the end users before becoming collectors items?

One thing they seem to have in common is a distinct lack of manufactured marking on any of the components. No identification, proof or quality inspection marks. This, to me, indicates that they were assembled from random parts from various sources. Likewise it eliminates the possibility that they are a result of being reworked or reconditioned from other countries as they would still have evidence of the original marking and even additional marks from the rework.

Another thing in common is that many of them have 4 digit Eastern Arabic numbers either stamped or etched on the bayonet crossguard and scabbard body. They are in the same relative position and orientation. These numbers are similar to the ones found on the early Egyptian bayonets, (brown grips?).

We know that Egypt acquired the equipment and technology to make these bayonets and scabbards from Russia. Iraq did the same, supplied with equipment and tech. from Yugoslavia. Previous to this being completed, it is extremely possible that either or both countries started assembly / production using parts imported from various ComBloc sources. Using parts from Russia, Poland, Hungary, East Germany, Yugoslavia, Romania along with all the parts they could manufacture themselves. Eventually both being able to manufacture complete items on there own. No markings, no records or documentation, no one cared, we will probably never know who, where or why. Mike

PS: The Russians originally designed the AK weapons system and related accessories, (bayonets & scabbards) to be universal in the ComBloc countries and with complete parts interchangeability. All components to be manufactured to the same Russian specifications. They did a pretty good job of it in my estimation. Therefore we have "Mixmaster" bayonets and scabbards.
ilian

Post by ilian »

I do agree Mike, so i add this one to identify :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_0963 - Copie.JPG
IMG_0969 - Copie.JPG
IMG_0965 - Copie.JPG
IMG_0959 - Copie.JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

My version of this has the same grip but with a Polish style blade (no saw teeth). It has the yellow glue filled in around the gaps like the Egyptian bayonets I own. Scabbard looks to be early Maadi production made from Russian parts. Scabbard has 4 digit Eastern Arabic serial number but knife doesn't. Wrist strap is olive green with black buckle and rivet.
My attorney visited Egypt back in the days of the UAR and saw a similar bayonet being carried by the Egyptians.
ilian

Post by ilian »

The bayonet i presented is new from stock no number on it.

I got by a good friend (some egyptian bayonets) but in particular an egyptian bayonet without saw teeth bring back from Chad after the "Great Toyota War" in 1987.

Conflict between chadian and lybian, those bayonets were confiscated by chadian soldiers, they equipped libyan forces during this conflict.
I pretty sure Libya bought or made some local AK bayonets... i need to investigate more with my friends/contacts.
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

I believe Libya produced a copy of the Chinese Type 56 AK, but may be wrong.
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

Ilian,
In 1988 I was in Chad with Opération Épervier, (in 1987 I was in Djibouti), but at the time I was not interested in collecting bayonets etc. so never looked at what was available.

The only souvenirs I have from that time, are my Médaille d'Outre-Mer & Croix du Combattant.

Medal Sleeve.jpg
Medals.jpg

La Vie est Belle

Richard
pwcosol

Post by pwcosol »

Excellent discussion on this unusual 6x3 variation. I have one as well which came from a friend whom acquired it in the late 1980s. It has the mottled red grip which some refer to as a "cranberry" colored one. If one has ever seen gelled cranberry with whole berries, you will see why it is a fitting description! These are quite scarce and a friend got one a couple years back on a auction site...but bayonet had no saw teeth. Have yet to get a real good look at it, but if opportunity presents itself, will try & get some photos.
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

pwcosol - your bayonet sounds like it is mine (the one in my book).

Martin
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Take a look at this video.
Im pretty sure its one of those Romy made contract pieces on screen.
Mould numbers are visible on the grip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kj9A4Ef9yxk
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, it does seem very similar to the mixmaster bayonets and scabbards posted here and elsewhere. Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I could not keep from thinking this may have been recorded at terrorist training camp. I was waiting to see him demonstrating a decapitation using the bayonet. Mike