Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards

Post by Mr. B. »

I just noticed that we don't have any original Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards pictured here. These original items are getting hard to find. The ones that have come on the market the last several years have been Inspected, repaired, reworked, and renumbered, many multiple times. They have been reworked in several countries, (Russia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, etc.). They have been mixed between early and late production, original arsenals, bayonets and scabbards, parts, hangers and straps replaced. Different types of markings and numbers have been removed and added in different places making it hard to imagine what is original. Below are a couple of original ones from my collection. They are in new condition and are late production from the Izhevsk arsenal. Note that these are what in my opinion would be the ones found in what is known as the "Transitional" versions if mated with a new, early production Type II scabbard. Mike
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some close-ups of the first one showing markings. Mike
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is the second one. Even though the numbers are not too far apart, they are irrelevant as the four digit numbers are constantly being recycled. Mike
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

And here are the close-ups of the second one showing the markings. Mike
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Agree, most found now are so reworked that they are of reduced interest to me. Finding originals matching and unreworked is very difficult.
In fact I think I have more of the very early "square-round back" ones than I do of the standard type 1's :-)
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a couple of more unusual Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets that can be found. Due to the unusual shape of the grip panels they are often referred to as "Flat end pommels". They can be found in the same color combinations as the regular round pommel ones. Like most of the 6X3 bayonets that are found they appear to be reworked. There is no evidence of them being installed on non-reworked bayonets, leading many collectors to believe that they were made only for replacement. I tend to agree with that opinion. The dark gripped bayonet below is an early 6X3 with the round strap hook and the arsenal mark(s) on the side of the cross guard. For some unknown reason this one has both the Tula star and the Izhevsk triangle and arrow. The one with the lighter grips has the later squared of strap hook and the Izhevsk arsenal mark on the flat behind the muzzle ring. Mike
IMG_0241 (2).JPG
IMG_0241 (2).JPG (113.47 KiB) Viewed 28648 times
IMG_0220 (2).JPG
IMG_0220 (2).JPG (113.1 KiB) Viewed 28648 times
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is a better picture of the one with both arsenal marks. Plus comparison pictures of a flat end 6X3 and a standard round end one. Mike
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0227 (2).JPG
IMG_0227 (2).JPG (117.71 KiB) Viewed 28648 times
IMG_0226 (2).JPG
IMG_0226 (2).JPG (115.38 KiB) Viewed 28648 times
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

What makes you think the "square round-back" ones are reworked?
I have 3 of them, and have always thought they are very early type 1's. I'll have to check mine out again, but didn't think they were reworked. One came out of Zimbabwe many years ago.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I used to think the same thing, very early Type 1's. My 1st one I had, the brown one above, I received from a friend from Russia 25+ years ago. Same guy I got the two new unissued Type 1's at the start of this post. It was early due to the round strap hook and the arsenal marks on the side of the crossguard. The scabbard was also a very early style, Both the scabbard and bayonet were obviously reworked with force matched numbers. Since then I have had the opportunity to help sort through and catalog a large number surplus Russian bayonets from Russian and Bulgarian sources. Most are reworks from long term storage. Some were imported by various arms dealers and some others that deal only in general surplus items. I wish I had had the funds and foresight to purchase more than the few I did for my collection as well as a few others for friends and traders. All of the few flat end pommel bayonet I have seen have been reworked and appeared to me to have had the grip panels replaced. The bayonets were obviously well used and reworked and the grips were in much better condition. I added the 2nd squared pommel, the orange one above, much later because it was in such good condition and much later production. The strap hook is angular and the arsenal mark is on top of the crossguard behind the muzzle ring. Again both the bayonet and later style scabbard were reworked with forced matching numbers.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Also I might note that the flat end grips are not only are on both very early and late production of 6X3s, but also found on both Tula and Izhevsk bayonets. I have also heard opinions from several authorities and other forums that they are rework replacements. I am not 100% sure, but the evidence tends to agree. It is my belief that they are supplied by a sub contractor for rework and are similar to the "Window" mark found on type II scabbards and other parts. Were the rifles and scabbards supplied to Zimbabwe new or surplus? Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Anyone's guess. They were bought from the Zim army by a British dealer about 15 years ago, who sold them off. I would have expected them to have been from new rifles, but no way to know.
Brian
- Admin -
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

My two non-reworked Izhvesk type 1 bayos. One is of early hanger/scabbard design and is missing its original leather hanger.
Attachments
F1F75289-EC6B-4FBB-82A2-C360EF70A29C.jpeg
B049D0CF-0CA6-40EF-9623-91DDB25D39F4.jpeg
8F835D0D-E189-434E-9A54-2EDB6404FDA3.jpeg
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike,

I have a theory about the double marked bayonets with both Izhevsk and Tula arsenal marks. My belief is that they were produced by one factory and later reworked by the other.
ilian

Post by ilian »

Dragur2791 wrote:My two non-reworked Izhvesk type 1 bayos. One is of early hanger/scabbard design and is missing its original leather hanger.
Are you sure that they are not reworked?

The one with the "plum" grips show a scabbard with grinds marks and certainly a new engraved number, and the police of the number is the same on the crossguard, so for me it's a reworked bayonet.

The one with the orange grips is a non reworked bayonet but the scabbard was remplaced. (The police of number are not the same on the crossguard and the scabbard).
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Yes both are renumbered at some point, but not actually reworked.
ilian

Post by ilian »

It's hard to know if they were refurbished or not because if they grind or sand the ancient number and repainted the crossguard they could have change the grips (for the plum one) ?

It engage nothing about the quality of the bayonet you present here, i wouldn't be hurtful.

I will post pics of mine a bit later.
ilian

Post by ilian »

Some pics of mine non reworked late production variant.
Attachments
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

MDI, I tend to agree with you. With both the Izhevsk and Tula arsenals marks stamped on the same side of the crossguard it may well have been reworked or possibly assembled new from parts from both arsenals. If it is indeed from rework it would reinforce that fact that the grip panels could have been replaced using the square butt ones? Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I still dispute that fact about the square butt ones.
If you look at the article linked previously: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... Newsletter
he pictures those as correct for the 6x3 type 2
Brian
- Admin -
ilian

Post by ilian »

Mr. B. wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:33 pm Here is a better picture of the one with both arsenal marks.
For me it's not the izhevsk mark next to the Tula star, i alrealy saw tis kind of marks, it's a "T" on a triangle.

Regards.
Attachments
3.1.2_3.jpg
3.1.2_3.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 27188 times