Polish AKM type 2 serial number

Polish AK bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

kstim

Polish AKM type 2 serial number

Post by kstim »

Hi, have a Polish type 2 akm bayonet, with hanger and lanyard, everything looks ok, matching serial numbers, BUT the serial number on the knife is on the reverse side of the crossguard (right hand side if mounted on the rifle). From Martin Ivie's book, should be on the left? Anyone seen this before?
Mr. B.

Re: Polish AKM type 2 serial number

Post by Mr. B. »

You are correct. The Polish AKM 6H4 Type II bayonets are usually stamped on the left side of the cross guard. A number stamped on the right side is usually done during a rework or replacement operation. Are there any other numbers on the bayonet or signs that a number could have been ground off? Pictures of both sides of the cross guard would help. Perhaps a bayonet was lost and a new unissued and unnumbered one was stamped to match the scabbard. It may have been stamped on the right since it was done as a rework or replacement!? Mike
kstim

Re: Polish AKM type 2 serial number

Post by kstim »

Thanks Mike. I will try to post some pictures. I have another polish type 2 in near mint condition, and it has the inspector's marks on crossguard and the wire cutter attachment. This one has no markings of any kind other than the serial numbers and the initials PG scratched into the groove between pommel and muzzle ring. The paint appears a glossier black than on my other bayonet, so almost looks like was repainted. I can find no evidence of another number being ground off. As said, will try to get some pics, they tell the story better. I also suppose could just be a manufacturing error, have worked enough factory jobs to know mistakes get made. Anyway thanks for the input, this is a great forum!