Russian Snap Hook Hangers AKM - AK74

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Re: Russian Snap Hook Hangers AKM - AK74

Post by Mr. B. »

Perhaps this should have been the 1st item in this post. This is one of the 1st examples of a Russian AKM snap hook hanger. What is believed to be the original hanger was a sewn or riveted on fabric belt hanger that carried over from the Tokarev, Siminov, and AK47. This proved impractical as the belt had to be unfastened and the entire scabbard assembly removed to be able to use the wire cutter. Several different designs were tried to make the scabbard easier to remove from the belt using a snap hook. This one is the earliest one found in pictures or drawings. It used the flat bar attachment on the existing AKM scabbards. The snap hook assembly was permanently attached to the scabbard and used existing "D" ring belt loops the were part of the service belt. Later this design was obsoleted/recalled and was removed during inspections and rework. The hanger had to be cut off and the flat bar attachment modified to be able to attach a snap ring directly to the scabbard. These hangers are very rare as most were scrapped and destroyed after being cut off. M.
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a couple more pictures of an original hanger that has not been cut off. Also an illustration of an early hanger from an early Russian AKM manual. Mike
Russian_hanger_OLD_early_scabbard_2_zps605d1f6f.jpg
Russian_hanger_OLD_early_scabbard_zpse0f1330b.jpg
23167587_10155089774033034_873695711416716910_n (2).jpg
23167587_10155089774033034_873695711416716910_n (2).jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 21939 times
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Really have to find one of those for myself. Thanks for the pics and info
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here's another step in the design of the hangers for the early Russian AKM Type I bayonets and scabbards. This is an example of a Russian two hook style hanger. It uses a stamped metal bracket to connect a snap hook from the bracket to the scabbard and another to attach to the belt loop with a "D" ring. A natural leather hilt loop is attached to the bracket with two rivets. Note that the belt loop and hilt loop rivets have the typical Russian black washers plus Russian style snap hooks. The bayonet and scabbard are both early ones, but have been reworked and have forced matched etched numbers. The bayonet has the early 1st version cross guard with the rounded strap hook similar to the Hungarian ones. The scabbard is the early 1st style with the flat top cutter pivot and the flat bar hanger mount. It was modified during rework by cutting away a small semi-circular piece from the hanger bar to be able to use a snap hook. Also note that the wrist strap on the bayonet is the early 2nd style with two buckles. Mike
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This two hook style hanger style was also adopted and used on early East German (DDR), Romania and is still in use by Hungary with only minor differences on AKM Type I bayonets and scabbards. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here's another early Russian AKM 6X3 Type I hanger. I believe this one should have been before the one above chronologically. This one is probably the first attempt at a two snap hook hanger. The one I my collection, pictured below has two "D" rings, but only one snap hook. In place of a second snap hook is a riveted together belt loop at the top. I have seen a similar hanger with second snap hook at the top in place of the attached belt loop. It would require a separate belt loop with a "D" ring. Shown with an optional "D" ring and snap hook in the last two pictures. Notice the similarities to the illustration from the Russian AKM manual previously in this series of posts. Displayed below with an early reworked Tula Type one with a matching number early scabbard with a modified flat bar hanger bracket. Also note the 2 buckle wrist strap.
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Pictures showing the possibilities / options of a second snap hook in place of the riveted on belt loop.
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Russian variant
Attachments
Russisch Schwarz  (1).JPG
Russisch Schwarz  (2).JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Russian
Attachments
Russisch Braun alt  (1).JPG
Russisch Braun alt  (2).JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I recently acquired another early style Russian snap hook hanger. This is the variation with the metal bracket and single snap hook. The one I posted previously was made with synthetic (vinyl) leather. This one is real leather and probably the original version. They are pictured here together for comparison. The reddish one on the left is vinyl, the one on the right is leather. Mike
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike,

Where are you finding all these weird as hangers?

Great info. BTW.

Martin
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I have a friend in the Ukraine who knows I am interested in weird ass Russian AK stuff. He has been a good source over the years. Everything I've received from him seems to be in decent original condition with only wear and aging. As far as I can tell, no new hand made items, no fakes or copies. Evidently he has access to the items that are removed as obsolete where inspections and rework is preformed. Or perhaps has access to items that are remove from long term storage prior to them being sold off or scrapped. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is a Russian AKM 6X4 & 6X5 experimental / test hanger made up in small numbers as a way to simplify production. The "D" ring for the snap hook was eliminated and the snap hook was attached directly to the hanger bracket. They restricted movement and were not well received. They were not accepted as replacements and not mass produced. I do not have one of these and would like to obtain one. I have seen them on both late issued 6X4 and early versions of 6X5 bayonets. Below is a borrowed picture of this hanger.
Mike
Russian Experimental Hanger without D Ring (2).jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I recently received these two snap hook hangers from Ukraine. I am not sure what they are, but the appear to possibly be early attempts at a one piece hanger. They use the same unusual snap hook and "D'" ring shown in the early manuals and found on the earliest permanently installed leather snap hook hangers. The leather and rivets are also consistent with the first version. However, they may also just be made up from spare parts to be used as replacements on reworked/inspected bayonets and scabbards. Either way, unusual Russian snap hook hangers.
Mike
IMG_0179.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Had issues posting the second picture. Here's the other side of the hangers. M.
IMG_0180.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a couple more Russian snap hook hangers that I recently received from a dealer in the Russian Federation. I usually do not collect specialty items, parade, dress, special issue etc.. However, these made a nice display as they represent both early and late issue items. The one on the left is the early variation with the flattened "D" ring. The white faced leather is thinner and smaller in width than the later style. The newer current style is also white faced leather only thicker and slightly wider with a round wire "D" ring and has a newer snap hook as well. Mike
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG
Russian white parade belt.jpg
furtium

Post by furtium »

This is my example of an early Russian two hook hanger. It is missing the belt loop.
Attachments
IMG_5722.JPG
IMG_5721.JPG
IMG_5720.JPG
IMG_5718.JPG
IMG_5717.JPG
furtium

Post by furtium »

A couple more pics.
Attachments
IMG_5719.JPG
IMG_5716.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I received an interesting question today about the Russian fabric and leather snap hook hanger. The more I researched the more confusing it became. At one time they were somewhat rare and the ones I found were consistent in appearance. All having the same basic construction and materials with the earlier flattened "D" ring. The pattern can be found in several references so appears to be official. (see Illustration below.)
In the last several years quantities of these hangers have appeared from various sources. They appear to be unused and it is unknown if they are new old stock released as surplus, or more recently made up for sale to the public, (collectors market).
The pictures below show the differences in construction. The way the leather and fabric are positioned before riveting. The different studs on the hilt strap. The different "D" ring, flat (early) and round wire (later). Lots of other visible variations as well.
In my opinion they may have been made up by various sub-contractors over the years to meet only basic requirements for rework replacement. Or are the fake replicas? Mike
thumbnail_DSCF0141 (2).jpg
thumbnail_DSCF0141 (2).jpg (50.14 KiB) Viewed 15532 times
Russian fabric and leather hanger 14jpg.jpg
Russian fabric and leather hanger 13jpg.jpg
Russian fabric and leather hanger 12jpg.jpg
Russian fabric and leather hanger 11.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

More leather and fabric hanger variations. Mike
Russian fabric and leather hanger 10.jpg
Russian hanger group 2.jpg