Few different Chinese bayonets

AK Bayonets from China

Moderator: Mr. B.

croblade

Few different Chinese bayonets

Post by croblade »

No one didn't post anything about Chinese bayonets, so here is photo with few Chinese bayonets I have.
Attachments
Chinese bayonets
Chinese bayonets
Mr. B.

Re: Few different Chinese bayonets

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are my Chinese AK bayonets. AK47, non-wire cutter AKM, and AKM Type II. Note, the middle short bayonet is "green". I also have eight Type 56 spike bayonets, (see separate post), and two Type 81 bayonets and scabbards, (non-AK). M.
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2612.JPG
croblade

Post by croblade »

These bayonets look great, I have only one first model type, non AKM II and chronic deficit of metal frogs for short AKM...
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thanks. There are at least three different variations of the metal belt hooks. I will try to post pictures when I have time.
Note: Just the middle two in the 1st picture are Chinese. M.
porterkids

Post by porterkids »

Mr. B shows one of these in a photo above. It is an early Chinese AKM with the brass pin in the grip. What makes this one a little unusual is the Philips head screw in the pommel, most have a slotted screw. This one is numbered 0006. I suspect that the first made, very early bayonets had the Philips screws and shortly after production started they switched over to the slotted screws. Also, take a close look at the scabbard. You can see the mesh pattern of the material used to make the scabbard. It is not a standard injection molded body.
Chinese AKM early-1.JPG
Chinese AKM early-2.JPG
Chinese AKM early-3.JPG
Chinese AKM early-4.JPG
Chinese AKM early-5.JPG
porterkids

Post by porterkids »

Here's a Chinese black AKM with a green vinyl and cotton frog.
Chinese AKM black-1.JPG
Chinese AKM black-2.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, there are lot's of variations on these Chinese AKM non-wire cutter bayonets and scabbards. One must remember that these are not for military issue or use. They were made up pretty much for the collectors market. It also appears the specifications were very vague and there was not a lot of quality control either. No need for uniformity or interchangeability. They were either manufactured or assembled individually or in small lots at various times and places. I would also doubt that few, if any, records were kept. Some were included with AKM rifles for export to the civilian market and often numbered in various ways to a rifle. Others were left un-numbered and sold individually. Some of these were marked as a product of China in various ways as required for import.

Below are a few group pictures to show the differences in #1. Blade lengths, profiles, machining and finishes, (from bright bare metal to a dull phosphate coating). #2. The grip and scabbard colors vary from black, green and various shades of brown, (tan to brown with orange and red tints). Also note the different pommel shapes, from angular to rounded. #3. Show the different thicknesses of the cross guard hooks.

Mike
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

More Chinese AKM variation pictures. #1 and # 2 illustrates the different pommel machine screws, Phillips and slotted.
#3 shows the grip plugs on opposite sides, both right and left side. Note that these bayonets only have a plug on one side except for the ones with the small brass pin all the way through.
#4 shows the hand etched 4 digit number on the cross guard that was included with a matching numbered AKM rifle.
#5 shows a stamped 5 digit number that was boxed with a corresponding numbered AKM rifle.

Note: It is my believe that the ones that were numbered were to match a rifle and not for sequence, (early - late) or any other purpose.

Mike
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

More pictures, more variations. Mike

#1. Shows the different diameter of the catch and pommel machine screws, (they do not interchange). Also the different pommel shapes/machining.
#2. Again different screw diameters, pommel shapes and strap hole shapes.
#3. Pommel shape/machining.
#4. Cross guard hook shapes, (rounded vs angular), and hole placement
#5. Cross guard hook thickness.
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Last of the Chinese AKM variation pictures. These illustrate the scabbard variations. The bayonets and scabbards often appear to have been produced by different suppliers/contractors and do not always seem to match except for general color. The bayonet variations to not indicate any correlation to scabbard variations or may have been mixed at some point. Mike

#1. Black and green scabbard showing the different lengths, points, and basic rib shapes. This also shows the small "bump" that seems to be found on all colors randomly.
#2. Shows all three basic colors with mold marks and slightly different mold shapes.
#3. Close up shows the fabric like texture that Bill referred to previously, seen to appear randomly on scabbards. Perhaps this is for reinforcement similar to the strands/fabric used in fiberglass or just mold texture to aid mold release?
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
#4. A close up of a smooth black scabbard for comparison.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

As far as hangers and straps, to the best of my knowledge none where designed, made or supplied with these bayonet. They can be found with all sorts of hangers and straps either from other countries or hand fabricated. The exception are the small metal belt clips supplied with the boxed rifles. These also come in various shapes and finishes. I have found several in assorted web and snap hook hangers and even one in a home made leather snap hanger with Chinese(?) characters. The green one Bill pictured appears to be a similar home made one.

Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is another small variation to the Chinese AKM bayonets. They have be found with "CHINA" on the front and sides of the crossguard and this one is stamped on the side of the pommel. Also note the crudely drilled lanyard hole and the end of the grip screw that appears to have been roughly sawed off. Again no standards or quality control. Mike
10342753_650334788385445_6414751924131647586_n.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The "CHINA" markings would have been done by an importer, and these were obviously imported at a time when country of origin was required by law and they had to be done in a hurry or face confiscation. Similar to a lot of militaria and other stuff towards the end of the 80's that were confiscated by customs and the importers had to rush to find a solution.
I have Chris Reeve OPK knives with quickly engraved country of origin done for the same reason.
Brian
- Admin -
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Here are mine "red & black chinamen" :razz:
Properly coloured hangers I added miself - as I usually do..
Attachments
SDC14933.JPG
SDC14930.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Nice examples of the bayonets and scabbards. The hangers look like typical Russian rework items. The brass stud on the lower one doesn't seem quite right though. As a side note, has anyone ever tried to actually wear one of these Chinese bayonets on a belt? The are very top, (hilt), heavy without the longer blade, scabbard and wire cutter plate. It just sort of confirms that they were not actually intended/issued for use. Mike
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Nice chinamen Bruno! Did you import from a US seller or did you find em here in Europe?
ilian

Post by ilian »

Mine:
Attachments
comparatif AKM T2 chine - Copie.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Nice composite picture! Excellent photography. Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

Thanks Mike! I am preparing all pictures like this one for my book, it's really a lot of work ;)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Very nicely done!
Brian
- Admin -